HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3.3.1 MU5 Feedback?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:01 pm 

Does anyone have any real world feedback (good, bad, ugly) related to running 3.3.1 MU5 (specifially on a 8200, but in general is fine). Informally I have yet to hear anything about how it is really working and if there are any show stoppers that perhaps are being glossed over else where. I'm getting some pressure from PN to deploy it sooner than later (disclosure, I'm a partner and do the updates myself for my customer's deployed systems).

dcc

Post subject: Re: 3.3.1 MU5 Feedback?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Adding a link to the release notes:
https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/a00099914en_us

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:48 pm 

It is listed as the default version for 8k, 9k and 20k now, so it can't be that bad :)

Jokes aside, my customers started upgrading in early June and I've not heard of any issues so far.

Looking at the release notes it doesn't bring a lot of new features to the table from MU2 and MU3 except basically all the patches and some additional bug fixes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:03 am 

Considering it, we've had 4 post patch releases now (one obsolete already :) ) with a number of potentially icky bug fixes so I'm hoping it's stable now.

I've a 8200 still on 3.2.2 so it might be first or one of our test 8400 while they still have maint. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:45 am 

I have already Updated several 8200 to MU5 and no Issue.
At the moment watch this Advisory:
Before upgrading an 8200 or 8400, AFC needs to be off and the PersonaProfile parameter set to "block-only".
So today no FileService Support for MU5, I heard they have found a Memory Leak problem.
Also, P132 is mandatory.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:03 am 

We just upgraded our first customer to MU5 with the most recent patches (125,126,132,135,136) and new SP (luckily straight to 5.0.7.1 so no cpu issues).

No issues noted (node reboots required for this update).

Only thing I've seen is some issues with SSMC. Customer was on 3.3.1 (MU3) with patches until about May of 2020 with SSMC 3.6.0.

Post update some of the data isn't populating in either the home screen widgets or main panels. I am guessing this is probably some sort of auth issue gathering the data (the customer has some of their own cert chain installed and I'm wondering if the update has affected these). Updated appliance to 3.7.0 but still persists.

Case open for investigation anyway.

we shall see.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:38 am 

Just started our MU5 upgrades, couple of test 8400 this week with latest patches and all seems fine.

We've had odd issues with SSMC 3.7 for a while, it won't read any Rcopy info and just says the arrays have zero configs and zero groups. Support have been a little vague, suggesting MU5 (i.e. install the latest of everything and come back :roll: ) but did mention login with 3paradm. Seems they might have meant change the SSMC monitor account to 3paradm rather then the recommended creating a browse rights account. This seems to have fixed it, I need to poke support some more to find out if this is a bug or an undocumented 'feature'. :shock:

UPDATE: Support say my SSMC issue is a bug and expected to be fixed in next release, this is the only workaround they have for now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:13 am 

Hi, we got the first two arrays updated yesterday. SSMC looks good, but Dedup ratio is not displayed at the system level. It's reported for CPGs without problems, though.

Ailean, what is this monitor user for ssmc with browse rights thing? We connect arrays to ssmc with 3paradm. I don't even know where to configure a second user for monitoring. Could you please explain that?

Quote:
undocumented 'feature'

Yes, 3.7 is good in that. My favorite is marking hosts as degraded, if the Persistent Ports Partner-Ports of their host ports are "Free Ready" (Online, but not used for a host) - SSMC 3.7 thinks they are not ok for failover, and marks all hosts on this ports as degraded. Without a chance to mark this as "ok" or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:12 am 

MU5... everything is working grat :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:16 am 

apol wrote:
Hi, we got the first two arrays updated yesterday. SSMC looks good, but Dedup ratio is not displayed at the system level. It's reported for CPGs without problems, though.

Ailean, what is this monitor user for ssmc with browse rights thing? We connect arrays to ssmc with 3paradm. I don't even know where to configure a second user for monitoring. Could you please explain that?

I tend to refer to the account you enter to register a new array in SSMC as the 'monitor' account. If you look in the tooltip next to the account box it states (I think) recommended to use a lower rights account like browse level. Which I have done for years (originally did use 3paradm before reading that and thinking yeah makes sense, let me create an account everywhere then I can track what SSMC is doing vs what I'm doing and not leave this exposed management box with keys to the city 24/7 :roll: ).

I seem to remember a similar bug coming up pre 3.4 days and thinking 'just as well I was lazy and used 3paradm'. ;)