HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 8200 shutdown
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:27 pm 

So as we were sitting here during this tropical storm, me and a colleague were discussing how we really don't have a procedure for shutting down our 3par 8200 just incase the generator is faulty.

So i did some quick research and found some doc, but they don't coincide with what I am seeing on the screens.

we are running :
SP ver 5.0.6.0-27574
3par OS 3.31.410 MU2

I am in the service console page, which i assume was previsouly called SPOCC, and doing see where i can halt the node/cluster, and then shut down system.

Can you point me in the right direction? I'm Having issues finding the right document. In the meantime i will continue to search. Much appreciated!

Thanks

-Evan

Post subject: Re: 8200 shutdown
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:34 pm 

The easiest way to explain.

SSH to the 3PAR and issue :
shutdownsys –halt

Once shutdown is complete, power off node enclosures first and drive enclosures last.

Powering back is the other way around. Power on drive enclosures first and node enclosures last.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:40 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
The easiest way to explain.

SSH to the 3PAR and issue :
shutdownsys –halt

Once shutdown is complete, power off node enclosures first and drive enclosures last.

Powering back is the other way around. Power on drive enclosures first and node enclosures last.

thank you for the quick reply. Why are there some many more complicated ways of doing this then? I see things like halting the cluster, shutdown down the SP....then...powering down the PDUs etc.

SPMAINT, SPOCC, CLI....seems like CLI is the best and easiest option. I guess the SP i can just shutdown in web console.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

evan631 wrote:
Why are there some many more complicated ways of doing this then? I see things like halting the cluster, shutdown down the SP....then...powering down the PDUs etc.

SPMAINT, SPOCC, CLI....seems like CLI is the best and easiest option. I guess the SP i can just shutdown in web console.

Mainly for different layers of security. Since you are the owner/customer and have admin access to the 3PAR inside your network, you get to use the cli method.

3PAR is sold all over the world, some are outside of normal HPE/Unisys field engineer coverage. The extra layers of auditing/security that the SP provides puts some guardrails and training wheels in place to assist in situations where VARs or contractors are delivering support coverage.