HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: CPG Failed
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:47 am 

Earlier in the week we had a space issue on our 3par F400. We have since cleared space, and performed a compactcpg command on all cpgs.

We are now in good shape with space with about 2.6tb usable on the system.

Unfortunately we are still seeing one of the CPGs as failed, and not sure why.

The original alert was:
Id : 105
State : New
Message Code: 0x0270018
Time : 2019-07-23 18:24:16 EDT
Severity : Degraded
Type : CPG was grown with degraded parameters
Message : CPG 1 (cpg_copy) could not grow with its normal grow parameters.-The following parameters were used: createald -wait 0 -cpsd cpg_copy -t r5 -ssz 8 -p -devtype FC -n tp-1-sd-1 -sz 8192

However with freeing up the space on the CPGs i would have thought the CPG would come back to normal state.

Any ideas what i could be missing here? Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks for the help!

-Evan

Post subject: Re: CPG Failed
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:15 am 

At a guess I'd say the set size for the grown LDs is smaller then configured on the CPG or some other parameter, try comparing the CPG settings to those in the error.

You should be able to tune the growth to the normal CPG settings if you have enough free space on enough disks to match them.

Been a while since we ran that close to full so I don't remember the commands off hand and being an F class I'm guessing code updates stopped around 3.1.x so might depend on your license features.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:23 am 

Tunesys should fix it with the hammer if you have new enough software code (3.1.2) or have the DO license that allows you to run it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:44 pm 

Thank you for the quick replies!

I will have to do some research on tune sys as i have never used the command. The good thing...it looks like i can run it just on the copy space cpg.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:04 am 

you can run it on a single CPG yes, but tunesys is somewhat smart. It will only re-tune data if it is required (basically imbalanced chunklets across disks/cages/nodes and LDs in CPG not created according to the current CPG config). So it you run in on the entire system and it does something with other data, it is probably for the better.