HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Support options
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:50 pm 

Hello from Northern California

I've been recently retained by a local non-profit that has a 3par 7400 system in their server room. I guess a generous benefactor paid for it for them about 3 years ago. Sadly they didn't do a very good job keeping it updated. My predecessor had downloaded all of the updates to his laptop and then took them with him when he left. Most recently they had a couple of hard drives fail. One of the junior IT people in their office purchased some drives online. However they cannot get them to admit to the system. It seems the drives are newer than the OS is so they are not in the firmwaredb. Is there any way to get the firmware for the drives and add it to the db? Any way to get HP to let me download the updates again even though their coverage expired 3 months ago? Does HP offer deals to non-profits? I'm trying to help them out but I feel stuck between a rock and hard place.

Thanks Much..

Michael

Post subject: Re: Support options
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:15 pm 

What?? Nobody has any ideas on how I can support this client?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 am 

Well, the easy way to support them is to contact HPE. My guess is that the majority of people here does not work for a US non-profit organization so we are not aware if HPE offers any special deals.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you are expecting on a user group forum...

My $0.02
If the junior IT guy bought the disks from HPE I would be surprised if they wouldn't help you getting them installed and working.

The only way of adding disk firmware is thru patches or full 3PAR OS releases.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

Have you tried to logging on to software depot and using the expired SAID to see if it will let you download software that was released within that support window?

If it doesn't automatically allow it, Try asking support to give you access to the updates/patches that were released 3 months ago and prior, when the client was entitled.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:54 pm 

Awesome idea.. Ill try that.. thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:32 pm 

So your idea worked out great for me. I was able to get all of the ISO files I need to upgrade. But now I am in a paradox. I have one failed drive. All of the replacement drives are newer than the OS. So I cant use them to fix the failure. However with the one failed drive I can't run the upgrade. Does anyone know a way around this? Is there a way to remove the drive from service so that checkupgrade will pass?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:30 am 

Have you tried simply removing the drive? It should disappear from the system. I had the same issue when I tried to add drives and hadnt patched to the proper firmware level yet. I just removed them, did the updates and put it back in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:32 am 

Yes. It's sitting on a desk. 1 drive out of 160 is preventing me from upgrading. quite obnoxious.. lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:21 pm 

So it still shows the dead drive then?

If you do a checkhealth what error is it giving you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:16 pm 

And the stupid question... What 3PAR OS level are you on, and what is the disk type?

Could be that the requirement for patching is lower than upgrade, and you might just be a patch away from getting the new drives admitted.