HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3par 8400 add cage
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:39 am 

hi to all

i have 3par 8400 and cage

how to add cage to 3par ?

i'm need algorytm, how to do it

found these documents, but understand, that this is not enough...

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public ... =c04830947
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public ... =c04792861

Post subject: Re: 3par 8400 add cage
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 am 

I have a car, how to make it work?

You need to supply a lot more information.

How many nodes, how mange cages, do you still have the sheets of stickers which came with the array? And who did the initial install (ie, are you 100% sure that the cabling so far is 100% correct?)
If you have more than 2 nodes, you should really ensure that the system is balanced from a hardware perspective. If you only have 2 nodes then it doesn't really matter that much in most cases.

Any reason why you didn't pay the ~$250 that the installation service costs? Then you know it will be right (and if not, you have someone to blame)... Seems like a weird place to cut costs...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:08 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
I have a car, how to make it work?

You need to supply a lot more information.

How many nodes, how mange cages, do you still have the sheets of stickers which came with the array? And who did the initial install (ie, are you 100% sure that the cabling so far is 100% correct?)
If you have more than 2 nodes, you should really ensure that the system is balanced from a hardware perspective. If you only have 2 nodes then it doesn't really matter that much in most cases.

Any reason why you didn't pay the ~$250 that the installation service costs? Then you know it will be right (and if not, you have someone to blame)... Seems like a weird place to cut costs...

in my country cost for this option ~ 20 k $

i'm so sorry

3par 8400 2 nodes
no cages (only default)

HPE 3PAR OS version
Current 3.3.1.269 (MU1)+P09,P11,P18,P19,P21,P25,P28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:31 am 

N0 : DP-2 <-> E1 : IO 0 : DP-1 (Red label)
N1 : DP-2 <-> E1 : IO 1 : DP-1 (Green label)

Last page on https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public ... =c04792861

There should be a sheet of papir containing pre-printed labels for this cable in the box that the 3PAR came in. Use those :)

Just a friendly hint. Everything is color coded. Label the cables and you'll stay out of trouble. Red cable always goes into the Red node or the Red IO module on the cages, Green cables always goes into the Green node or the Green IO module. Never insert a red cable into a Green module and vice versa.

Also, 20k $ for adding this is just plain wrong unless you are on an isolated island in the Pacific Ocean and it covers private air transportation to get there :). Go to another partner for your next purchase. There are packaged installation services for this from HPE which have a fixed price. This should be the cost of ~2-3 hours of consultancy (which should include transport, installation and pre-work verifying that you have the correct patch level for your new drives). 20k$ would be a suitable initial installation cost for a 8-node system with 48 cages and 1000 drives in a replicated environment with everything you could think of adding, but adding a cage on a 8k system someone is either trying to screw you over, doesn't know what they are doing or quoted you the wrong service. Either way, I would probably think twice about giving them my money another time :)

Edit: Because remember, you are now trusting a random person on a forum to cable stuff on your storage array. If that is wrong everyone is looking at you and you are looking into a screen.