HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Actual Space in Use - Capacity vs CPG?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:18 pm 

We have a 7200 that will soon get replaced. We're trying to determine the actual space in use to size the new system, but I think thin provisioning is tripping us up. Our system doesn't do dedupe, just thin provisioning.

In the management console, on the Systems page, it shows for FC drives that we have 14.6TB allocated and 16.2TB allocated for NL drives. If I go to Provisioning and then CPGs, it shows my RAID 5 SS4 CPG has 9.9TB of allocated capacity (the only FC CPG we use). The 2 NL CPG's we use show 11.2TB allocated capacity when added together.

It's been several years since I've had my 3PAR training. I believe though that the allocation on the Systems page is showing the size of all the VV's we've allocated from that drive type. That doesn't account for thin provisioning though (I don't think). The CPGs summary page shows the actual space that is currently in use. So for the FC drives in the above, we have VV's allocated for 14.6TB, but are only taking up 9.9TB in actual disk space. Does that sound right? So, if we buy a new system that does thin provisioning and dedupe, we should be fine with 16TB usable FC?

Thanks, Jason

Post subject: Re: Actual Space in Use - Capacity vs CPG?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:15 am 

Dedupe is SSD only, so you don't get that on FC.

I would do a "showvv -s" and look under "Usr Used" column. That will show how much capacity is used on all your volumes.

I would also add some extra (like 20-30%) so you don't start off with a full system.