HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Adding a third node - advices - poweroff all system?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:08 pm 

Hello all,
We plan to add a 3rd node on our 3PAR system ( 2 clusters).
I already read the documentation ( how to plug different nodes ) and it seems we have to unplug /plug some SAS cable , mainly the Green cable.

Just want to know if someone already did a such operation ? If yes , What is the procedure? How Did that happen ?

Do i need to switch off all the system before doing the operation ? or can i perform it with system ON ( unplug - plug green cable ).

Actual config for the first cluster:
-------------------------------------
One storeServ 7000 + 2 nodes 6750.
Version : 3.2.1.292

Future config:
---------------
Actual + 1 node 6750

Actual config for the second cluster:
----------------------------------------
One storeServ 7000 + 2 nodes 6750.
Version : 3.2.1.426

Future config:
---------------
Actual + 1 node 6750

Post subject: Re: Adding a third node - advices - poweroff all system?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

When you say "node" do you mean server? The word node is also used to identify a component of a 3PAR, such as a 7200, and 3 3PAR nodes is not a valid config. If you mean server, that's a totally different story. A 7200 is a 2 node system, and a 7400 is a 4 node system... and in this context, node means 3PAR controller.

Since you said "cluster", I assume you mean server, and you want to add a 3rd server (node in this context) to a cluster. If so, at no time should you have to touch "SAS" cables on the 3PAR.

Can you link the documentation and page# of the documentation you are referring to? Also what is the 6750 you are referring to and the OS you are using?

Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:17 pm 

Hello Richard ,
Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Our system is a 2 nodes - 7200 - 2 controllers.
in fact, what i would like to say is that we already have one 7200 + two 6710 like figure in page 18 of the following document : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public ... =c04441589

and we want to upgrade by adding a 6710 like figure in page 22 of the following document https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public ... =c04441589

When i said "cluster" i would like to say that we have two times the same configuration [{1*7200 + (2 *6710)} + (3*DL380) ] * 2 -> for "Data Recovery Plan".

Thanks

Happy new year too!!!

Julien

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Ahh ok, so you are adding a new 6710 disk enclosure to a live 7200 system. Capacity growth is very common, and this process has been safely done 100s of times, but here in the USA, professional installation services are bundled with the new disk shelf.

The guide you linked is for initial configuration cabling before the system is powered on, and does not include the steps to hot-add a new shelf to a live system. I assume you are not inside the USA, your reseller/HPe Partner should have access to the non-disruptive installation procedure. Otherwise, I found this link to the official HPe forum:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/3PAR-Store ... CwYd1xKjuo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:06 pm 

Hello Richard.
Happy new year to you !

Thanks for your answer and time.
You re right , we are not located to USA , we are based in French Polynesian Archipels.

I ll try to ask my reseller for a non-disruptive installation procedure as you suggest.

Thanks.
Julien