HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Tune VV related to AO based LUN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:31 am 

Hi All,

Nice to meet you all and happy to find a forum dedicated for 3PAR. As am new to this 3PAR,bear with me for silly questions.

In our environment we have one 7400 series 3PAR arrays in each DC.

Now an application running on a LUN which is part of Balanced AO is giving poor performance. So we have decided to move it to full SSD drives. The LUN is also replicated LUN.

The data by default goes to FC10K and as per the data access it goes to NL or SSD in the AO.

Now what precuations , I have to take while running tunevv for moving this AO based LUN to fully SSD based LUN.

As default data goes to FC10K, so we need to stop AO and replication and then move FC10K to SSD based CPG? Is it right? If someone can help me on the steps to be followed , it would be greatful

Post subject: Re: Tune VV related to AO based LUN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:57 am 

Just tune the volume to a SSD CPG which isn't a part of any AO config. No need to stop replication for a simple tunevv.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:07 pm 

Usually on a 3 tiers array i create 2 or 3 AO configurations.
One global NL/FC/SSD, one dedicated usually to databases running between FC and NL and sometimes a third one NL/FC for mail or file servers stuff.

The poor latencies on your vlun could also come from synchronous replication.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:21 pm 

MammaGutt wrote:
Just tune the volume to a SSD CPG which isn't a part of any AO config. No need to stop replication for a simple tunevv.

Thank you for the update MammaGutt, much appreciated.

MammaGut, Does AO need to be stopped? AO is scheduled to run at night and tunevv we will be running at morning.

Also as i mentioned now major chunk of data is residing on default CPG FC10K and very less data are there on SSD and NL.

So running tunevv on only FC10K to the SSD CPG drive will be enough? My confusion here is that there is some data residing on SSD and NL as well which are moved to them as part of AO

Last edited by nishanth on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:23 pm 

RitonLaBevue wrote:
Usually on a 3 tiers array i create 2 or 3 AO configurations.
One global NL/FC/SSD, one dedicated usually to databases running between FC and NL and sometimes a third one NL/FC for mail or file servers stuff.

The poor latencies on your vlun could also come from synchronous replication.

Yes we are having synchronous replication and also we have all 3 default AO's in place.

Cost , Balanced and Performance as well

Thank you RitonBevue, for responding to my query.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:07 am 

nishanth wrote:
MammaGutt wrote:

Thank you for the update MammaGutt, much appreciated.

MammaGut, Does AO need to be stopped? AO is scheduled to run at night and tunevv we will be running at morning.

Also as i mentioned now major chunk of data is residing on default CPG FC10K and very less data are there on SSD and NL.

So running tunevv on only FC10K to the SSD CPG drive will be enough? My confusion here is that there is some data residing on SSD and NL as well which are moved to them as part of AO

No need to worry about AO.
No need to worry about where the blocks are today, you are moving everything with tunevv. You are not running tumevv on the FC10K CPG but the volume.

Just remember that if you move it to a SSD CPG which is a part of any AO config AO will start moving data down on first run, so remember to tune to a CPG which isn't a part of any AO config if you want the entire volume to permanently stay in the SSD tier.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:10 am 

Thank you very much MammaGutt, I was thinking from the CPG level. Now got it, that we are running tunevv at VV level and not from CPG level. That was confusing me for a while.

Now all ok, Thankyou again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:36 am 

Hi to all,
We are planning to compress Replicated VV's by tunevv. Must one not stop the replication for the VV's ? Or is the above discussion in another context.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:12 am 

Full, thin, dedupe, compress and deco are different volume type. I'm pretty sure moving between those are considered a convert and not tune. And last time I checked (a few years ago) you could not convert a volume with an active snapshot or in replication.

Edit:full and thin is possibly the same type.