HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Fiber optic cleaning
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Not 3PAR specific, but if you are using a 3PAR with FC or 10gE then keeping your fiber connections clean should be of interest. If your 3PAR complains of a host ports having CRC errors, chances are there is debris somewhere in the optical path.

If you have the single use disposable swabs, or worse, never bothered with cleaning your optics or believed that wiping the end of a FC cable on your polo shirt was acceptable... then you probably need something like this:

http://www.fiberinstrumentsales.com/con ... -blue.html

It don't specifically endorse this merchant or product. Any 1-click fiber cleaner from any brand will do.

Post subject: Re: Fiber optic cleaning
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:10 pm 

Good call. We do the same thing for every SAN and network cable. Too often in the past when we buy cables that come certified and tested for a certain amount of DB loss, we find some dirty cables. It helps to have a scope to visually inspect. We use the Fluke FI-525 kit. You'd be surprised but sometimes you can get junk stuck to the end of the cable that only rubbing it on your shirt will fix.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networks-F ... ni-20&th=1

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:01 pm 

Fiber cleaning kit... never leave home without it.

Personal preference is one-click for SFPs and cletop-s (https://cletop.com/) for cables.

If you're trying to cut cost, this is the wrong place to do it. Both with the cables and with cleaning. I want to bang my head hard against the wall every time I speak with people that spend $500k on a storage array, but doesn't bother with the $500 for a complete new kit of the default OM cables at the time being and a cleaning kit..... It's like buying a new Porsche and running it on left-over frying oil from the local burger joint in stead of getting diesel at the local station.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182394699954
For $16 and free delivery... I am giving this a test drive.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:42 am 

Richard Siemers wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182394699954
For $16 and free delivery... I am giving this a test drive.

I'm interested to hear if it worked or not. Cleaning the cables is pretty important to keep everything running smoothly.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

I received the $16 ebay cleaner, it looks and functions exactly like the far more expensive counterparts. I can't tell from looking at it if the cleaning medium is any different than the competition, it all looks like dental floss to the naked eye. I plan to do a real test comparing the two then inspecting the results with a microscope next week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:56 pm 

mitchellm3 wrote:
Good call. We do the same thing for every SAN and network cable. Too often in the past when we read about anything comparable to phentermine available over the counter here buy cables that come certified and tested for a certain amount of DB loss, we find some dirty cables. It helps to have a scope to visually inspect. We use the Fluke FI-525 kit. You'd be surprised but sometimes you can get junk stuck to the end of the cable that only rubbing it on your shirt will fix.

I agree even I have used a lot this( Fluke FI-525 kit ) just to clean dirty cables. :)

Last edited by ScottWhitt on Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:52 am 

Richard Siemerss wrote:
I received the $16 ebay cleaner, it looks and functions exactly like the far more expensive counterparts. I can't tell from looking at it if the cleaning medium is any different than the competition, it all looks like dental floss to the naked eye. I plan to do a real test comparing legal steroids with sarms the two then inspecting the results with a microscope next week.

First, deposit a small drop of Isopropyl Alcohol onto the clean wipe. You can use either non woven or low lint wipes. Next take the connector face and wipe in a ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:13 pm 

You guys are all spoilt! I just give the end a quick lick ....