HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Best Practices - Primera - VMWARE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:14 pm 

Ok, so I'm expecting my Primera arrays to show up by 4/25.. Then either by myself or with a hpe/vendor get them installed (Corona virus abound, my arrays are getting close to 90%.. I may not have a lot of choice about timing here) And I've found a few videos online about installing the array, and the android app...

So I currently have my vmware setup for 3par 7400 and had followed best practices for them..
What are the best practices for Primera?
In the past I had kept to 4-15 vm's per lun.. Sometimes 1 or 2 depending on the IO request size etc as well as the virtual machine size..
So the question is how big is a good size for a vvol?
In the past Most of my luns were around 4tb.. except three luns where they just needed more then 8tb or more.. (what's the current vvol size limit?)
Since most of my vm's are not huge I/O hogs.. I could probably fit 15+ on a lun but then I'd need to go to 8tb or larger.

Are vvols fully supported? (ie remote copy, metro storage cluster etc? or keep going with the plan I have which is to stick with vvols?)

Post subject: Re: Best Practices - Primera - VMWARE
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:52 am 

Primera VMware implementation Guide here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00088903en_us

16TiB is the max volume size for Data Reduction volumes today, 64TiB for Thin volumes.

No VMware vvol support in the current shipping release.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:12 pm 

SATP claimrules etc will all apply to Primera as it's really just a 3PAR to VMWare. I'm still waiting on an answer though as the official BPG for Primera has a different threshold for disk.qfullsamplesize than 3PAR does.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:29 am 

Update- the QFULL settings HPE have increased for both 3par & Primera, not 100% if they've updated VMware's docs yet, but according to HPE product management that is the intention