HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: System Reporter future....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:21 am 

So I have had numerous conversations with HP over the last 6-12 months (since AO moved from SR to on node) and if you look more and more reporting is making its way into the IMC. HP seems to be headed in a direction of taking functionality out of SR and/or only adding new reporting to the IMC only. I feel that is a huge mistake. Anyone that has used SR probably realizes how powerful it is . It also enables you to publish self-serve reports for application users to check on the performance of their applications and systems. It has reduced the number of calls I get to either blame my storage or to ask me to check our storage. If you are a big SR fan then speak up and let your HP team know that SR is a valuable tool and it needs to stay and gain the new functionality.

Post subject: Re: System Reporter future....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

The writing is on the wall that the functionality is moving on-array, but that does not mean that SR as we know it is dead. As is today, legacy SR can pull data from the arrays and co-exist with on-array SR.

I don't see anything new being added to SR... but I guess thats ok, I like it the way it is. :)

Post subject: Re: System Reporter future....
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:11 am 

Agreed, except HP seems to be moving the reporting into the IMC. Had several calls with them over the last few months and every time I get, "have you tried that int he IMC" answer as they are moving reporting into the IMC. I realize the UI for SR is antiquated, but a UI re-write with some new functionality would be the way to go. We publish dozens of reports everyday for the general app community to review and with SR losing functionality it will be difficult to do the same.