HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: CLX, GeoCluster, Peer Persistence...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:44 am 

Hi - I'm a little confused over the differences between these products/options. Could anybody give me a high-level overview of what distinguishes each one and what the use cases might be? I.e., when would you use one solution in favour of another? I believe all leverage Remote Copy.

• GeoCluster
  • Cluster Extension (CLX)
  • Peer Persistence

and how do they integrate (if at all) with the Recovery Manager suites, e.g., SQL, Exchange etc.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: CLX, GeoCluster, Peer Persistence...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:54 pm 

Got to admit, it's a little confusing to me.

Peer persistence is easy, it's currently vmware only and allows you to stretch a single vmware cluster over two site, using FC for replication and host access, so it's normally for campus sites as FC between sites is normally quite expensive.

Cluster extensions seems to be windows clustering failover, but across sites with San replication.

It's also supported on more than just the 3par, it's Eva and p9500 too.

Then 3par geocluster is a new one on me, not seen that before, but that seems to be virtual host aware, and uses remote copy, but I'm not sure how it differs from cluster extension and peer persistence for vmware tbh.

So which one you look at depends on whether you are using windows physical servers, windows hyper-v or vmware.

As far as the recovery manager products, they do complement, but I don't think they are necessary, peer persistence uses synchronous replication, whereas recovery manager for vmware replies on point in time snapshots and vmware tools integration for consistent snapshots.

I only have experience on peer persistence I'm afraid.

Post subject: Re: CLX, GeoCluster, Peer Persistence...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:07 am 

Hello,

CLX was first developped for EVA. Then, when HP took ownership of 3PAR they adapted CLX to 3PAR.

GeoCluster is also a cluster extension, developped by a french company, AntemetA (http://www.antemeta.com/en/GeoCluster), 3PAR historical supplier in France. GeoCluster works like CLX but it's easier to get it works.