HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Re: HP3PAR7400 4node cluster problem
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:47 am 

Hello again.
I checked the cable again.they are ok.
Schmoog, yes I removed the node from their enclosures. what's the CM error? how can I run the set xcbq_shutdown to 0 for node 3??
I'm sure the cabling is right.ok I will change the node place in the enclosures.give me a time guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:28 am 

hello Guys.
I checked all the cable and change the node physical place BUT the problem is staying with me yet.

Any idea???????

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:52 pm 

I'm sorry, but I'm stumped, my next call would be to support.

Without being onsite it's also hard to diagnose any more sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:59 pm 

Steve,

In a 7400 4 node, the bottom enclosure should contain nodes 0 and 1, and the top contains nodes 3 and 4. And if memory serves, the bottom node in the bottom enclosure would be node 0.

What I'll need you to do is give us a view of the error from each node, and label them as to which node it should be by position.

I know you hear this a lot, but it's worth repeating. These systems are very sophisticated. Operating them without support is quite frankly, idiotic.

Moreover, you need to approach these with a bit of respect, re racking equipment is not something to be done hastily. You have a piece of hardware which likely cost well over 100,000 dollars. You need to be more careful.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but as someone who has been in IT for a very long time, I learned this very lesson. Consider this a teachable moment and learn to be slow, methodical, and document everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:08 pm 

i can confirm that the nodes go from 0 at the bottom to 3 at the top.

its possible the cabling is right, but the chassis' are the wrong way around maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:11 pm 

Davidkn wrote:
i can confirm that the nodes go from 0 at the bottom to 3 at the top.

its possible the cabling is right, but the chassis' are the wrong way around maybe?

I think that steve here has no clue which node goes in which slot.

I am hoping that knowing the slot number and seeing the error will help us deduce which node belongs in which slot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:16 pm 

i don't think theres any way to distinguish them physically either, without having labelled them once they are connected the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:19 pm 

Correct.

Which is why I went out of my way to be the jerk.

When re racking equipment as complex as these, you need to document document document. Write down where things go, label them, take pictures, etc.

Approaching it in any other way is foolish and careless. So either the approach needs to change, or perhaps the career. If he doesn't change his approach, he's eventually going to break a production system and cost his employer/client a ton of cash. There is simply no room for that kind of malpractice when you're dealing with systems that are as expensive as these are.

That, and not having support is nothing less that idiotic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:14 am 

Hello guys,
Schmoog , Davidkn
thanks for your reply.
first of all I wanna say after 12 years of experience in IT industry and working in enterprise server and storage solution like EMC VNX,HP EVA, HP P9500,HDS USP,USPV,VSP and .... I know I have to buy a support from the vendor BUT this is not my business and my boss don't want to do that.it's out of my hand.
now I think I found a problem.in the whack prompt when I restart the HBA LSI I got an error.maybe this is my problem.give me a time guys I wanna make some screenshot of this error and the node and enclosure position.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:25 am 

steve_carlose wrote:
Hello guys,
I know I have to buy a support from the vendor BUT this is not my business and my boss don't want to do that.it's out of my hand.

We come back to the previous statements that you cannot legitimately obtain these without a support agreement. Even refurbished and ex-demo units are only sold with support. This leaves us confused as to how you got in this position and therefore confused as to how to help.