HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: SuSe linux offline migration from Hp EVA to 3Par
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:39 pm 

Hi We are performing storage array migration from HP EVA array to HP 3PAR array(offline migration) using MPX tool.

As we are performing SAN/array based migration my question is do i need to un-install mpio before migration and then re-install it with new mpio ?
Or else do i just need to update my multipath.conf file and device-mapper version ?

Currently my configuration:
Present sorage array is HP EVA

SUSE Linux version 10 and patchlevel 4 x86_64
Using Native multipathing.

HBA emulex with port speed 4gbit
device-mapper-1.02.13-6.18.7
multipath-tools-0.4.7-34.66.1
qlogic-firmware-1.0-13.23.1
If you need more information let me know...

Peforming offline migration to HP 3par array

My concern is does the above configuration is compatible on 3par array regarding the native multipathing,devicemapper,firmware ?

i assume before migration i will commentout storage paths from /etc/fstab file, turnoff all the services,database applications and after migration again i will uncomment storage paths in /etc/fstab and do i need to take care of any other steps ?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: SuSe linux offline migration from Hp EVA to 3Par
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 am 

Any Important information on this Thread would be Appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:58 pm 

If you are using native MPIO you shouldn't need to uninstall and reinstall. However if you are not using using the EVA to 3par online migration tool, your UUIDs are going to change when the storage is presented in 3par. EVA uses a different scheme than 3PAR so your paths in MPIO are going to change. Using the EVA - 3PAR online migration tool keeps the same UUIDs so this process can be done completely online in unix. I would assume this is the same as it is in linux as the documentation states that host i/o is not stopped during this process like it is in windows. I don't have any experience using the MPX tool that you referenced.

We run RHEL6.4 using the native MPIO just fine with no issues. To view compatibility check the matrix in SPOCK http://h20272.www2.hp.com and it should tell you all of the information you need to know about compatibility. You'll just need to login using a passport account.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:14 pm 

Nathan ,

Thanks for your reply but frankly speaking i am a linux system administrator so i don't have much experience on storage side. Right now we are performing Hp EVA to 3par on windows so we take down the host and then perform migration where lun to lun data transfer has been carried out using mpx tool. So the UUID's are not going to be same as host is shutdown doesn't really know storage has been moved.
In the same way we are planning to do on linux servers it will have different UUID's on 3Par as u said. so as native multipath is supported on before migration starts i will update the multipath configuration file 3PAR Recommendation and un-mount the filesystem once the migration completes mount the filesystem, bring the multipath on. is that right or else do i need to follow anyother additional procedure.

As you stated you have done similar migration can you tell what are steps you followed so that i can have some overview of that.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:15 pm 

Nathan,

Can you please provide what the pre checklist we have to look before migration, what are the steps we need to perform brief overview and after migration we are the steps we need to take care,
Highly appreciated looking forward for your reply.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:03 pm 

I am pulling together that info for you. But essentially if you online migrate (using the EVA tool in command view) in the unix world the migration was completely seamless and online. That is because 3par generates UUIDs as the old EVA UUIDs. 3par uses peer motion do coordinate and move your luns while being zoned through the 3par. In order to do this you have a peer motion license on your 3par and you must be on command view 10.2 or higher for you P6000. http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Around-the-Storage-Block-Blog/EVA-to-HP-3PAR-StoreServ-online-import/ba-p/128391#.UxkZM-ddU1U has tons of information how online import works and how it works on non-windows hosts. As well at the end of the blog the technical and white paper guides are available with all the details. I will send you a guide of how we did it on solaris but again, we did not create not luns in 3par, the online import tool created them for us. Give me a shout with your email and I'll send you all the info.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:15 pm 

Nathan,

Sent you private message with my email address. Thanks for sharing the information.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Storage SPOCK is the HP tool for validating comparability matrices. Here is what I pulled up for SUSE 10 and Modern 3PAR Systems:

Attachment:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:05 pm 

Thanks Richard that was helpful but i was looking for some pre-migration checklist and post-migration checklist procedures. If you have any references please let me know

Thanks