HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Migrating from EMC Celerra (CIFS) to Windows and 3PAR 7200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:44 pm 

Hi,

We've recently installed a pair of 7200's. One of the migrations we need to plan is the corporate file structure. Its currently hosted via CIF's shares presented and controlled via the Celerra head on an EMC CX4-120.

We want to move to Windows file servers to take advantage of DFS(R) for resiliency.

My question is - how do we keep the data in sync during the migration process? How have others done this? I have several ideas but I'd like to see what others suggest.

Data is approx 1 TB and rate of change would be consistent for an office of about 400 users.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Neil.

Post subject: Re: Migrating from EMC Celerra (CIFS) to Windows and 3PAR 72
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:02 am 

This is not 3PAR related as such. I cannot imagine that you could do anything on the storage system to keep data in sync during a migration. [edit] maybee the remote possibility that the EMC NAS can participate as a DFSR node. I never heard about non-Microsoft implementations though. [/edit]

I would properly look into robocopy with the /MIR switch. You can stage the data and do a final copy of changes just before cutover. This will require some downtime.
If the replication partner is located on high latency WAN you can pre-seed the data with an USB Harddrive or similar prior to enabling DFSR.