HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: e200 how to replace failed drive
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:14 pm 

Hi,

I have an 3par e200 which went out of maintenance last month. I got a alert from SP saying 1xxxxxx-E:PD0|HD[0:0:0] COMP_STATE failed. Physical Disk invalid_media.

inserv4 cli% showpd -failed -degraded
-Size(MB)-- ----Ports----
Id CagePos Type Speed(K) State Total Free A B
0 0:0:0 NL 7 failed 715008 0 0:0:1* 1:0:1
---------------------------------------------------------
1 total 715008 0

Does anyone know procedure to replace a failed drive on E200?

Thanks
rksm2002in

Post subject: Re: e200 how to replace failed drive
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:16 am 

Hi, best approach is to log onto your service processor and follow the link to "Guided Maintenance" and follow the steps here.

Where will you be obtaining a disk from? I think you will find that simply removing a disk from the caddy and replacing with another one will not be picked up by the array. It seems that the array stores the wwn of the caddy rather than the new disk so even adding a new disk not enough because the array is still looking at the wwn of the caddy.

On the other hand if you have caddys which have never been placed into the array then you should be fine :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:21 am 
Site Admin

NL drives don't have a WWN, so the circuitry on the caddy is converting SATA to FC and providing the WWN as well.

I presume this system is not critical production, hopefully a test or lab system.

I'm not that familiar with the service mag script, I do believe it tracks and handles the admithw of the new PDID and removes the old PDID afterward. Perhaps servicemag is not the best command to run in this situation. You may want to investigate some alternative commands such as movepdtospare, moverelocpd, dismisspd, admitpd... all of which I am no expert on, so you would have to reverse engineer the process yourself.

I have a year or 2 to go before I have a decommissioned 3PAR unit that I can do some invasive testing on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:18 pm 

Hi All,

Thanks for getting back to my question. And yes, disk drive on InServ which I am planning to replace is Dev InServ but it still has some data on it, which I am planning to move out quickly.

I was thinking to use servicemag command to replace the failed drive but I will definitely read more about movepdtospare, moverelocpd, dismisspd, admitpd before I replace the drive.

Thanks
rksm2002in

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

If you get stuck on the procedure or need a source for replacement parts, try giving "Sherlock Services" a call and let us all know how well they do, good or bad.