HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: HP 3PAR storeserv 7200 Disk and Enclosure Upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:38 am 

Hello Everyone..

This is my very first thread on this website, I hope every one is having a great time working with HP 3PAR..I will appreciate if some one can assist me in this 3PAR upgrade.

I am schedule to do a 3PAR 7200 upgrade with a additional enclosure and disks..existing 3PAR is only a base unit with 12 SAS disks, so this will be first disk enclosure in the storage, we have bought one new SFF disk enclosure with 12 SAS and 6 SDD disks..I searched the internet thoroughly about any specific or best practice documents related to the upgrade but could not find any..kindly can some one guide me how to find such document if it exists.

What I know is that I have to install the new hardware i.e disk enclosure and disks, then do the proper disk enclosure cabling, add the disks according to the best practice and then run the command admithw...

is this enough, are there any additional steps involved in the upgrade, I think there is no need for tuning the system as far as I know it will be done automatically i.e spreading the chunk lets of volumes to the new added hardware and making use of it..

Post subject: Re: HP 3PAR storeserv 7200 Disk and Enclosure Upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:35 pm 

You quite likely have a license upgrade to install with this new shelf.

Did a qualified HP technician actually build the purchase BOM for you? They will nearly always tell you that this is not able to be done by an end user.

Post subject: Re: HP 3PAR storeserv 7200 Disk and Enclosure Upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:37 am 

Typically you can't purchase these items without licensing and services attached (services are minimal cost for an upgrade like this). There are also firmware dependencies involved so I wouldn't attempt this without serviices and support.