HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: F-Class Cabling Options
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:55 pm 

Hi,

This is my first post, so bear with me!

I have inherited an F400 for my demo environment and I'm playing around with it. I had it up and running and started down a "I wonder what happens if..." route and decided to remove two of the shelves. The array had four shelves, all half-populated, so I removed two shelves and moved the disks to the remaining shelves. I changed the ID indicators on the shelves both to "1" and removed the loop - directly connecting each shelf to the first two ports on the FC card in slot 2.

Magically, the array picked up the moved disks and works fine (which I didn't expect) but is now complaining about the lost loops which it sees as broken.

Is there any way to repair this? From my training I seem to remember that direct-connecting shelves is supported on F-Class arrays with the downfall of the loss of host-ports, but with just two shelves this isn't really an issue for me.

Thanks in advance :-)

Post subject: Re: F-Class Cabling Options
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, I would have expected data loss, but your saying it recognized the drives and rolled with the change?

Check out "help servicecage" and see if that has what you want.

Post subject: Re: F-Class Cabling Options
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:01 pm 

I didn't think the data would survive either - I was expecting all the VVs (including the admin volume) to be lost since two shelves were being removed, the array would have a wobbly when it started and run in what's essentially single-user mode. However, now I've run the command below the array is working perfectly, no data loss, no warnings, nothing.

Thanks for the pointer, a quick...
Code:
servicecage remove cage1
servicecage remove cage3

...removed both cages with a blue question mark next to them (I didn't need to prepare it since it was already gone) and now the errors have gone.