HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Management Console Really Slow
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:42 pm 

Hello All

I have just upgraded to MMC 4.4.1 and it takes 5 to 10 minutes to connect to my controllers and runs really slow once I am in. HP support want me to upgrade the controllers and the Service Processor, but it will take awhile and be a hassle. I am already on 3.12.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Management Console Really Slow
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:34 am 
Site Admin

I would ask for a duty manager and escalate that call to someone who is competent.

Did you reboot your machine after the IMC upgrade? Double check windows/local firewall is not blocking the new exe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:06 am 

Thanks. So I take it 15 minutes to login is not normal?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:22 am 
Site Admin

Not normal at all. I am using 4.4.0 though. When I log in, it connects to 3 different 3PARs in less than a minute.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:42 am 

What version on InServ are you running? This is the Email I got from HP.

"There is some know issue with the inserv code for the IMC performance. The current code that you are running on the array is 3.1.278 P01. The fix was in 3.1.2 322 MU1. The latest code is 3.1.2emu2. "

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:48 am 

IMC 4.3 and higher are crap, performance sucks, that said I don't think that it should take that long. One issue we saw which I think was fixed in 3.1.2 or 3.1.2 MU1 was they had an issue at certain levels of Inform with the network ports on the controllers flapping. Try locking the ports on the array to 100mb and do same for corresponding network. Also there is a bug fix in IMC 4.5 coming to fix some of the Java performance issues, but don't hold your breathe, I find the IMC to be once of the worst Java apps I have had to deal with, slow quirky, always looses focus of where you were, etc. I find is I have certain other Java apps open then the IMC really bogs down and some times becomes unresponsive. Some apps that I fond will cause the IMC to misbehave, are Commvault Console (java), Chrome (with jav plugin), and the GoogleUpdateSerivce. If you are ruining any of those try killing them before launching the IMC. I have had issues where the IMC would not even launch when some combinations of those are running.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:07 pm 

[color=#0000FF][color=#0000BF];)

Thanks all for your input. I am tired of dealing with HP they had me unpluging things and even had two engineers working with me at same time. I came to a conclusion on my own. It might not seem the smartest but it works. When I log into one array it works fine. I have two arrays so therefore I have two MMC open for each array on the same server. You would think since its still on the same server the MMC is accessing the two same arrays just with two different MMCs open it would be slow but its not. So a long story short just so I can get my work done I have two instances of MMC open one for each array and runs fine.

Go figure???

-Bob
[/color][/color]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:06 pm 

Good find there.
I can second this. I have 4.4.1 and it's a incredibly laggy with two 3PARs connected at once.

Historically though, nearly every Java GUI has been a source of performance complaints, Backup Exec for example became just about unusable due to Java GUI issues in recent versions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:33 am 

The laggy stuff started to get bad after 4.2. I think it has to do with how they refresh the IMC and they appear to have changed the way they do that starting in 4.3. I would have to reinstall 4.2 on a system, but I also find that if you have numerous volumes and start scrolling ant it refreshs while you are scrolling through list of volumes that you will taken right back to the top. Not fun when you have over 650 volumes.

Also I miss some of the usability items that were removed after 4.2. I liked having the ability to expand Volume Sets on the left pane and select a vvset and have just those volumes in the center pane. 3par IMC developers clearly don;t use the product nor do they do any decent usability testing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:17 am 

Hi
unmark the secure connection it improves
the speed
Regards