HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: HP and Dell battle over 3PAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:30 am 
Site Admin

... and the bidding war continues. Stock price is currently in the $32 range, up from its pre-bid price of $9.65 on Aug 13th.

HP vs Dell, who do you want to win and why?

HP's (once Compaq's) elite R&D teams were impaired and diminished by former CEO Mark Hurd's cost cutting efforts. The new management would like to get back on track and a quick way to do that would be with 3PAR.

Dell storage environment is interesting. EqualLogic vs Clariion is an internal feud and perhaps is the reason EqualLogic's engineering leader Paula Long left the company 2 years after purchase. iSCSI vs Fibre Channel is more of a religious debate and heart felt opinion than fact and data. Obtaining 3PAR would allow Dell to take neutral ground and profit substantially both ways. After the EQL purchase, Dell was singing iSCSI hymns and meeting resistance in the enterprise space.

What's your perspective? Who do you want to win and why?

Post subject: Re: HP and Dell battle over 3PAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:15 pm 

So now that it seems that HP has come out on top of this battle, how do you think this will impact your business, HP, 3PAR as we know it, and the storage industry as a whole?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Good question.

A decade ago when HP bought my favorite server company Compaq I thought my IT world would come crashing down around me, however from the perspective I have, it seemed Compaq took over and completely replaced HP's Intel x86 line. Compaq was allowed to take over the HP x86 world without comprimise. Even our old Compaq sales reps became our HP sales reps. I was glad to see that the HP marketing team didn't swarm the aquisition and rename and relabel everything to put their name on it.

So going forward, I hope the 3PAR aquisition follows along the same template that the Compaq purchase did. I predict HP pushing 3PAR development for mainframe connectivity to compete directly with EMC and IBM storage, the support matrix will grow in both size and scope but shrink in the time it takes for new hardware to hit the list. Migration functionality is must, especially important to the existing EVA customers. 3PAR will enevitably be incorporated into the existing suites of Storage Software and tools offered by HPQ... I wonder what a T800 will look like in Insight Manager, OpenView and HP's SRM software!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:14 am 

I strongly suspect that HP, especially with Dave Donatelli at the helm of all things Enterprise, are anxious to get out of the business of reselling Hitachi USP, so I think your point about mainframe development might be spot on.

Then again, mainframe doesn't strike me as much of a growth market. I think this will be a good opportunity to really evaluate how much development is justified as compared to expected mainframe sales. Obviously, they'd be in a far better position to evaluate that than me but it seems that, while mainframes will continue to stick around for some time, that the new business opportunities going forward with that platform may be too few to chase.

As far as migration options - I think that that's probably 90% in place already. Once InServ is qualified for EVA Cluster, migrations become simple. To me, seamless migration has always been one of the strongest selling points of upstream virtualization.

Then again, the market value of FalconStor looks to be less than $200M - and that would make a very interesting injection into HP's stack.