HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3par 7200 problem of disk space
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:44 pm 

Hello,
I have a problem with a 3PAR 7200.
My storage is composedby a 3PAR 7200 with 12 300gb 15k disks without additional cage.
I have created a cpg, with all 12 disks, in raid 5 with 5:1 ratio and redundancy at the level of the magazine.

I need to create 4 lun:
-the first of 100 gb
-the other 3 of 600 gb

Before I make this setup I had created some virtual volumes in order to test the storage, i'new to this storage, that I deleted before creating the 4 lun that I needed.

I have created the first virtual volume to 100 gb and it has been successfully created.
After I tried to create another virtual volume but I get the following error message:

The layout request requires 614400m of space, but the system only has 46080 mb of space (see attachment image 002)

But if I'm going to see the free space at the cpg level, I am told that I have about 2.1 tb of available space.( see attachment image 001)

I have also tried to destroy the cpg and recreate it but this always returns the error message for tight spaces.

Any idea?

thanks

greetings

Attachments:
image002.png
image002.png [ 44.09 KiB | Viewed 21917 times ]
image001.png
image001.png [ 19.86 KiB | Viewed 21917 times ]
 Post subject: Re: 3par 7200 problem of disk space
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:47 am 

Today I can create my vv.
I wanted to know if once deleted vv I have to wait because the storage has to perform the scheduled tasks to free up space.
I can force these tasks from the command line?

thanks

greetings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:35 pm 

Hi Joined

If you have 12 300GB disks, the HP configurator with RAID 5:6, the same as the image, returns that you should have 1983GiB (1,93TiB) free with standard sparing policy and HA disk protection.

I don't now if the 2TB capacity is correct but if you configure three of 600GB and 100GB arrays the total of capacity is 1,85TiB and I don¡t know if this is possible if you can have only 100MB free of total of pool.

If you have another CPG, try to compact this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:49 pm 

just after deletion of a (fat) volume, compactcpg, or adding of drive capacity (new drives), the 3par needs to reinitialize the chunklets used. it does this typically with about 3 chucks a second.

so if you have tested with 2TB worth of storage, it will take the 3par about 680 seconds or a little less then 12 minutes to make it ready for usage again.

you can see the status of the (un)initialized space in bot the IMC (system, space, open all "+" signs on the free space until it shows the uninitialized space), or on CLI -> "showsys -space", look for "Free - Uninitialized"

The goal is to achieve the best results by following the clients wishes. If they want to have a house build upside down standing on its chimney, it's up to you to figure out how do it, while still making it usable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:15 pm 

I've been running into the same problem for the last several days. Thankfully google pointed me to this message board topic.

I've found the Management Console doesn't update status very often, so using the CLI "showsys -space" command works best for me to check on "uninitialized" free space. Hopefully in a few more hours I can create the 2nd virtual volume that I need.

To bad the error message in the management console isn't more clear on why there isn't free space!

-- Todd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:59 am 

This happens on nearly every new 3PAR, Customer creates a huuuge (typically 16TiB) fully provisioned volume to compare to a thin volume, runs test, then deletes them and immediately try's to recreate them. The problem is the 3PAR automatically zeros' out all blocks on deletion (no there is no way to speed this up, it's a background task) before returning them to the system. Just use thin volumes unless you intend to fully populate the entire volume upfront and you won't have this issue.