HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: VV Space Usage Report.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:15 am 

Hello All

Newbie here again. Now that I got system reporter working I went throght the concept guide and trying to learn the system. My manager want reports on the VV Space usage. I got the PD Space usage downpat because its commmen sense Total Space, Used Space, Whats Left Space. But the Virtual Volume usage is a little confusing. I know what Fully-Provisioned, Thinly-Provisioned space is but the VV report has .

VV Space efficeincy
VV Raw Rsvd Space
VV Rsvd Space
VV used Space
VV Copy space
VV Virtual Size,

Were can I find info on what these terms mean?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: VV Space Usage Report.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:16 am 
Site Admin

VV Space efficeincy - not sure...

VV used Space: actual user data
VV Rsvd Space: reserved for this VV, contains actual user data + some empty space for new growth.
VV Raw Rsvd Space: raw before raid overhead of how much space is reserved for this VV.
VV Copy space = how much space snapshots are using
VV Virtual Size = the size of a thin provisioned virtual volume that the host thinks it has.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:45 am 

Thanks,

Were can I find Fully-Provisioned report?

Thanks

-Bob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:50 am 

Also what is growth space in the CPG space report?

-Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Thats tricky... that is an indication of how much usable capacity is left for a CPG to grow, based on raid over head. It is looking at the raw PD space free, and converting that into usable space, per CPG. It is key to understand that if you have multiple CPGs pulling raw PD space from the same place, that the free space is shared. Here is the official verbiage on the report:

Quote:
The growth space is calculated for each CPG independent of the other CPGs. If multiple CPGs grow from the same or overlapping set of chunklets, then the aggregate growth space for the CPGs shown in this report is overstated. For example, if two CPGs allocate space from NL chunklets, growth space for each CPG is calculated assuming all the NL chunklets are available to each CPG.

The CPG growth space is calculated without considering the CPG limit, and may thus be higher than the limit. The actual CPG growth will be limited by the CPG limit, if it is set.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

rrimkus wrote:
Thanks,

Were can I find Fully-Provisioned report?

Thanks

-Bob

VV Space report does both Thin and Full provisioned volumes, there is a field that lets you filter it by prov type if you just want one for Thin, Full or snap. Bottom of Section 3 (Object selection).

When you view a chart with both Full and Thin, basically the Full's Virtual Size and Reserved space will be static and equal, where as a Thin will have a reserved size that fluctuates and is less than the Virtual Size.