HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3PAR F200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:23 am 

We just received a 3PAR ... I've try to login into InForm Management console using the 3paradm account ... i'm receiving this message : "startup init ms default any toc 0 [Cannot reach quorum] Use setsysmgr to set system manager startup state. No TOCs found. 32 Disk were considered invalid TOC sources due to unread or bad labels"

I've try the command stated but there is no TOC.... so I cannot set TOCs

Maybe going back to factory default is the way to go but I've got no idea how to accomplish this!

We have no idea what is the spvar password on the SP ... we've tried the default one ... no luck!

Post subject: Re: 3PAR F200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Was this unit professionally installed by HP?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:25 am 

Yes... I believe it was since it was an HP 3PAR Demo! It went to back to HP Canada to be refurbish before being sold to us ....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:03 am 
Site Admin

I don't like to guess, but here is a W.A.G. that your F200 is not properly installed/configured. You should call HP support and get their assistance in figuring this out, if you haven't already.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:00 pm 

I did ask for HP assistance but i'm just scared about the bill that will come with it! I'm currently waiting for a quote!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

We can't buy 3PAR storage without support where I am at. I don't believe these systems are intended to be 100% self installed or self maintained.

Before you cut a check though, make sure you have compatible version(s) of the IMC/Cli and the Inserv level loaded on your F200. Someone just posted in another thread about strange messages when using mismatched software.

Also, I have seen some 3rd party 3par support options popping up. Got a few in my unsolicited email folder if you need some links to check out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:48 am 

Look like every thing is a 3.1.1

Component Name Version
CLI Server 3.1.1 (MU1)
CLI Client 3.1.1 (MU1)
System Manager 3.1.1 (P13)
Kernel 3.1.1 (MU1)
TPD Kernel Code 3.1.1 (MU1)
TPD Kernel Patch 3.1.1 (P13)

Cannot get the IMC 4.1.1 connected because of that "No TOCs found" problem. I've got the IMC 4.2 software kit but the CD is unreadable

The CLI is working but it looks the system is not initialize at all ... this might explain why there is no TOC
<localhost> cli% showsys
Error: System manager is still initializing - try this command later.
Use 'showsysmgr' to see the current system state.

I'll need HP tech's magic!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:11 am 

Hello Everyone

I have a 3PAR P10000 V400 system bought as a HP Demo Unit, Upon powering it up and connecting to the controller node 3, i came across the error

Cannot reach TOC quorum. Use ‘setsysmgr’ to set system manager startup state

No TOCs found.
32 disks were considered invalid TOC sources due to unread or bad labels."

As decribed in your write up, i tried to look for the Gen number but was not displayed. what else can i do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:49 pm 

Phemmywales, you appeared to have responded with a "me too" without reading the advice for the previous poster.

Who is selling all these demo units without support agreements? You cannot make this unit usable without HP software.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:20 pm 

Our unit has got Factory Warranty and it came installed with the latest necessary software and License.

After several tries, i decided to check the health of the 3PAR system then i found out that it was unable to detect the B Loop of 6 of my cages, so i started checking the fibre connection (cable and SFP modules) to the NODEs then i saw that the Rx on the B loops were not active.

I changed all the Cable for the B loops and all Rx came up. So i ran the checkhealth command again and it was able to talk to all cage and drives.

The next thing i did was to use the option 7 (Set up the system to wipe and rerun ootb) of the Console menu and that also went well as well, i re-ran the OOTB, updated network configuration and then the system manager swung into operation, checking disk, creating admin volume etc.