HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Help Adding Previously Attached 3Par to Storeserve.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:44 am 

Hello,

We are having issues with our 3Par system, we have just upgraded our 3Par's certificate in preparation of an O/S upgrade and now we cannot connect it back to Service Console. When we try to add it back, we get a list of errors from StroreServe as below;

Quote:
StoreServ failed to create password file: /sp/conf/arrays/CZ272300KX.cli on SP. Check your network and firewall configurations and make sure the SP and StoreServ can connect to each other.
CLI Error: warning: Command contains unprintable characters: getservversion

Error getting client bytecode from CLI server: unmatched open brace in list

We have no firewall in the way, and this has been a working system for years with no network changes, so it’s something we have done.
What we have done.
We upgraded the service processor on the 3Par last week to version 5.1.1 and things seemed to go well, we followed the correct upgrade versions for the service processor. But we did not upgrade the O/S and it looks like we are on a unsupported mismatch between the software versions of both devices(SP 5.1.1 for and os 3.1.1), we tried to upgrade the O/S today and make it all in line but we had a certificate error stopping us upgrading the O/S. The certificate only ran out yesterday (on the 14th) so we decided to sort that so we could proceed with the O/S upgrade. We managed to create a self-signed certificate on the CLI and get it accepted in the Administrator console. The trouble starts when we add it back to the Service console. That’s when we get the errors above.
I have checked all other aspects of the setup but we have not changed any of the settings so are not sure why it’s telling us to check the network or why we get “getservversion” not working either.
I have tried to roll back the service processor upgrade to a compatible version but the UI won’t allow an older version to be uploaded and if I try to log into the CLI of the Service Processor, I get a
Quote:
3par service processor unmatched open brace in list
and immediatly closes, all other options in the list appear to work correctly, but this means I can’t use that either.
We seem to have put ourselves in a sticky situation and would really like some help.

Post subject: Re: Help Adding Previously Attached 3Par to Storeserve.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:33 am 

As you're going to upgrade the OS I assume that you have a valid support contract with HPE.

Downgrading SPs isn't possible so you would need to redeploy it... And that is basically the best answer I have.

When you say 3PAR OS 3.1.1 I hope you mean 3.3.1 :)

If I remember the lingo correct, Administrator Console is in SSMC, Service Console is on the Service Processor. My understanding is that you only have issues with Service Processor and not SSMC.

Anyways, if redeployment of SP doesn't help I suggest logging a case with HPE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:36 am 

Hi MammaGut, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, this is on unsupported hardware, but we are using it as a test run to upgrade some hardware that is in contract, so we were able to get the patches for this. Also, the OS version is wrong yes, we are on 3.2.2, but not 3.3.1.

As for redeploying the service processor I cannot see an option to do that, I just have reboot as an option in my list. I can add it into maintenance mode on a putty terminal, but that option is not in the software GUI. I think a lot of our issues appear to be a corrupted CLI on the service processor, it appears to not be working as intended. I am going to apply the last patch again to the service processor and hope that fixes it.

Also, as I have no options for redeploy in there at all, is it done with a special account like HPEPartner?

Cheers

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:34 pm 

Redeploy = Delete your VM, deploy new VM from ova template available for download.

What 3.2.2 version with what patch level you got?

Only MU4 and MU6 support SP5…. and that also requires P161/162. Not sure if some of the later SPs have dropped the 3.2.2 support.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:04 am 

We are on
Quote:
Component Name Version
CLI Server 3.2.2 (P165)
CLI Client 3.2.2
System Manager 3.2.2 (P165)
Kernel 3.2.2 (MU6)
TPD Kernel Code 3.2.2 (MU6)
TPD Kernel Patch 3.2.2 (P165)

I will look into redeploying the VM, cheers for your help in this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:01 am 

Just checked the support matrix on SPOCK. 5.1.1.0 no longer supports 3.2.2, 5.1.0.1 was the last version to support 3.2.2 systems.

So if you upgraded the SP past version 5.1.0.1 that would be the reason why you got into trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:05 am 

Yeah, thats most likely the cause of our issues. We worked that out pretty quickly, its just a case of trying to unpick the damage in the best way possible. If I repalaced the VM would that take us to the exact same issue again?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:08 am 

Luckily its just a test we did on an old 3par we use for backups, so no major issues or threats to buisness as we don't need to do anything with it. Just would like to learn how to unpick this mess for my mental wellbeing. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:59 pm 

Meusli wrote:
Yeah, thats most likely the cause of our issues. We worked that out pretty quickly, its just a case of trying to unpick the damage in the best way possible. If I repalaced the VM would that take us to the exact same issue again?

Deploy a 5.1.0.0 SP
Upgrade system to 3.3.1
Upgrade SP to latest.