HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Updating from 3.3.1 MU5 (with most recent patches to 3.3.2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:27 am 

Hi,
I've got a couple of customers of 3.3.1 MU5 (with most patches). One is an 8200 the other an 8450. Planning to move them over to 3.3.2 (EMU1) soon. Both are running primarily ESXi workloads on ESXi 7.x. No complex replication or anything like that so I am guessing it should be straightforward enough. My only concern is the customer on the 8200 who has been using both dedup and compression for much of their estate. As a result the nodes running pretty high from a saturation point of view. Typically over 90% most of the time. Not an issue in itself as it still runs within acceptable performance parameters but I know high loads can slow down updates considerably. I've done previous updates (with warnings about the utilisation) and they've completed ok. Just wondering if there are any things to be aware of going to 3.3.2 EMU1. They around 80% utilised from a storage standpoint.

Assume there will probably be node reboots for this one...

Any feedback appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Updating from 3.3.1 MU5 (with most recent patches to 3.3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:39 am 

Check SPOCK (see link in sticky post) for 8200 features. https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/spock/utili ... _3_3_2.pdf

If you're doing compression and dedupe on 8200 you cannot do File Persona, Remote Copy or Adaptive Flash Cache.

My guess is that most of the CPU utilization on 8200 is due to background/housekeeping tasks trying to keep up with the 8200. If you log a case with HPE they are usually able to help you disable those for a short period when doing the OS upgrade. If not, might be prevented from doing an online upgrade due to CPU utilization.

Post subject: Re: Updating from 3.3.1 MU5 (with most recent patches to 3.3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:27 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
Check SPOCK (see link in sticky post) for 8200 features. https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/spock/utili ... _3_3_2.pdf

If you're doing compression and dedupe on 8200 you cannot do File Persona, Remote Copy or Adaptive Flash Cache.

My guess is that most of the CPU utilization on 8200 is due to background/housekeeping tasks trying to keep up with the 8200. If you log a case with HPE they are usually able to help you disable those for a short period when doing the OS upgrade. If not, might be prevented from doing an online upgrade due to CPU utilization.