HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Node Pairing for Hot Online upgrade compatability.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

We are about to undergo our first hot online inserv upgrade from 2.24 to 2.31 and have discovered some gotchas that were left out of the implementation guides that I thought I would share. This only applies to systems with 4 nodes or more.

In 4+ node systems, when have a need to zone a host to only 2 of the 4 nodes, which is our case as we have several servers with only a single HBA, you need to be aware that hot online upgrades will reboot HALF the nodes in a system at once... therefore, what they call "Vertical Pairing" should be avoided.

Since disk shelves are connected to a single node pair only, the law/rule becomes that only 1 node in a pair may go down or reboot at any given time (upgrade or not). So when picked which 2 nodes to use for a host in a 4+ node system, pick 2 horizontal nodes... such as 0 and 1, or 6 and 7... aka both halves of a node pair. As it stands presently, 3PAR will reboot all the evens or all the odds at once in a vertical stack, so if you're verticaly zoned, you will lose connectivity.

This is well documented in the 3PAR Upgrade Pre-Planning guide, however all implementation guides I have seen as of this date complete lack any mention of this issue or how to avoid it. Good thing the techs at 3Par perform a type of health check prior to the upgrade in order to identify and rectify such issues beforehand.