HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3PAR Remote Copy Issue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:20 pm 

Hi all, newbie to the site, first post

I have two 3PAR systems, one in my primary datacenter and one in my secondary datacenter with remote copy running between them. So we tested the failover capability to the secondary site, and somehow, not sure how, the replication has stopped and I can not switch back to the primary datacenter. The primary datacenter 3PAR shows the sync status as "stopped" and on the secondary datacenter 3PAR is shows as "failsafe"

Has anyone seen this before and how best to correct this ?

I have been reading up on the command setrcopytarget {enable} <target_name> but I've never ran this before so I thought I would ask first.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 3PAR Remote Copy Issue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:33 pm 

Froda wrote:
Hi all, newbie to the site, first post

I have two 3PAR systems, one in my primary datacenter and one in my secondary datacenter with remote copy running between them. So we tested the failover capability to the secondary site, and somehow, not sure how, the replication has stopped and I can not switch back to the primary datacenter. The primary datacenter 3PAR shows the sync status as "stopped" and on the secondary datacenter 3PAR is shows as "failsafe"

Has anyone seen this before and how best to correct this ?

I have been reading up on the command setrcopytarget {enable} <target_name> but I've never ran this before so I thought I would ask first.
Thanks!

What did you do? Pull the power? :D
https://www.3parug.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2336

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:38 pm 

Thank you for your reply very helpful !

Additional question, once I run the command ("setrcopygroup override <Rcopygroup name>" from the supposed source side) will the replication automatically start once more or will I have to start it manually?

Also, how can I be sure that the replication will transfer from my secondary datacenter 3PAR back to my primary datacenter 3PAR system, because as I mentioned we are running off of our secondary datacenter 3PAR system and would hate to see the replication go the wrong way?

Thanks again for you help

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:00 am 

Froda wrote:
Thank you for your reply very helpful !

Additional question, once I run the command ("setrcopygroup override <Rcopygroup name>" from the supposed source side) will the replication automatically start once more or will I have to start it manually?

Also, how can I be sure that the replication will transfer from my secondary datacenter 3PAR back to my primary datacenter 3PAR system, because as I mentioned we are running off of our secondary datacenter 3PAR system and would hate to see the replication go the wrong way?

Thanks again for you help

Well, you don't provide a lot of information here, so this would be best effort.....

Once you do override the RC group should transition to "started" mode and start resyncing. If it stays in "stopped" for a minute, you could try starting it manually.

Depending on what type of replication and setup you're running, getting back to your original datacenter depends on what type of setup you're running.... Do you have peer persistence? I'm assuming this is sync replication.... Do you have a stretched fabric? Are you running CLX?

For PP it's just a matter of doing a switchover. For CLX you might need to do a reverse natural if you have a stretched fabric and now running on hosts in site A and storage in site B. For just simple replication you need to do a failover (which will be disruptive).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:28 pm 

ok this is good information, thanks!
one more maybe dumb question, but just want to confirm, when we say ("setrcopygroup override <Rcopygroup name>" from the supposed source side)

What is meant from the supposed source side.

right now I have the primary datacenter where the status shows "stopped", and the the secondary datacenter 3PAR is shows as "failsafe", meaning that my servers are using the secondary 3PAR system

so where would I run the ("setrcopygroup override <Rcopygroup name>") command, what is considered my source side? My primary or my secondary? Or maybe it doesn't matter?

Thank you for the clarification on this