HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Monitoring
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:16 pm 

Just curious what everyone is using for monitoring tools.

Thanks!

superchunk

Post subject: Re: Monitoring
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:59 am 

Mostly just the iops in IMC. If I need to look to a certain behavior at a certain point of time I use System Reporter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:09 pm 

3par System Reporter, great tool allows granular per disk per lun type stats. My biggest complaint is since they moved AO to the controllers there are no more AO reports. We publish daily reports that any app person can access and see that storage is NOT part of any issue they are having.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:12 pm 

CLI, IMC, System Reporter. We have some ideas about going to Storage Essentials to get the whole SAN perspective from host, switch, and array. Sometimes can be hard with large fabrics. We have mulitple arrays with over 130 edge switches and 700 hosts. If anyone else has suggestions please post. I would be interested to know what folks are using.

JD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

We had issues with windows and ESX hosts not doing Round Robin load balancing. When multiple hosts picked the same 3PAR port as their "primary active" path instead of properly balancing across all 4 paths, we would encounter performance bottlenecks at the congested port.

We deployed SAN Screen, which is now Netapp OnCommand Insight. It polls perf and alias data from the SAN switches, as well as ESX and the 3PAR. One of the reports it provides is a balance index, that compares the amount of traffic between the host's HBA ports and alarms when its not 50% - 50%, which happens just about every time they build a new Windows server by hand :)

SAN Screen also does a good job of mapping a 3PAR lun to an ESX datastore, and down to the VMDKs on that datastore. So when I have a hot LUN I want to learn more about, I can track it down to the guest VM.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 am 

I use a cool monitoring tool named 3PAR Vision. It is developed by a French solution integrator Antemeta.
Nice interface, clear graphs with usefull options (resolution (high, hourly, daily), zoom, highlights (week-end, day, night, day of week), AO policies, disk types, ...)
Please find some screenshots attached to this post !
Editor's 3PAR Vision link
Demo video link at HP DISCOVER Vienna 2012

Attachments:
File comment: Dashboard
Dashboard.png
Dashboard.png [ 310.25 KiB | Viewed 22854 times ]
File comment: Performances
Perfs.png
Perfs.png [ 313.3 KiB | Viewed 22854 times ]
File comment: Capacity
Capacity.png
Capacity.png [ 333.6 KiB | Viewed 22854 times ]
File comment: Adaptive Optimization
AO.png
AO.png [ 217.05 KiB | Viewed 22854 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 pm 

That's identical data to IMC or system reporter graphs, though they are a bit prettier, can't imagine paying for a package for prettier graphing personally.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:37 pm 

I tried System Reporter but didn't care much for it.

For a few years now I've been using Cacti to create graphs of various EVA metrics on our EVAs. The evaperf output gets imported into Cacti constantly. I took the same approach with 3Par. The CLI has very similar commands and options as the EVA's evaperf.

Oh, and Cacti is free.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:49 pm 

care to share the cacti scripts and setup? would be really interested to see how that runs on my test box.

The goal is to achieve the best results by following the clients wishes. If they want to have a house build upside down standing on its chimney, it's up to you to figure out how do it, while still making it usable.