HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Capacity failure?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:49 am 

Under Systems->Capacity, 3Par is reporting that 2.0GB have failed. Can someone please explain what this means?

Attachment:
capacity_fail.JPG
capacity_fail.JPG [ 23.5 KiB | Viewed 15714 times ]

Post subject: Re: Capacity failure?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:20 am 

All I can tell you is that we have no failed capacity. Perhaps it would be better to contact support. There are probably a few bad blocks on a disk or something, support can determine if the disk needs replacing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:52 am 

As you may know, 3PAR uses "chunklets" to virtualize storage. Chunklets in the V/10000 series and the 7000 series are 1GiB in size. So, to me it looks like you have 2 failed chunklets (or 8 failed chunklets in T/F/S/E series). This is not really of any concern. The system is constantly monitoring all of the disks for a variety of metrics. If it sees a spot on a disk that isn't acting quite right it will proactively fail that spot and relocate the chunklet that was occupying it to another location. In fact, if it detects 5 suspect chunklets on a single drive, the drive will be proactively failed and an alert sent to HP for replacement. I wouldn't worry about the failed capacity column unless it is combined with an overal system alert or component failure.

"showpdch -failed" will give you some additional info. You can also add the "failed" colum to your Systems/Physical Disk/Physical Disk tab in the GUI and you'll see the failed chunklets on a per drive basis.

Hope this helps.

I work for HP. The above comments are my own and do not represent an official reply from HP.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect the cutoff is over 5 failed chunklets on a single PD is when they replace the drive.