HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3PAR 8200 End of Sale & EoL
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:47 am 

I am trying to find information about low end 3PAR end of sale (and thereby end of support). I have been told by suppliers that the 8200 model is no longer available. I have also been told that HPE now recommend Nimble at this level. I cannot find clear information on status on a HPE website (apart for individual physical disk types).
I am looking at options for a second 3PAR to support an office relocation. My current preference is to source a second hand 8200 (to match the current unit). Are there any "gotchas" to look out for when buying second hand? Top of my list is knowing that HPE will support the unit.
Thanks for any advice and pointers.

Post subject: Re: 3PAR 8200 End of Sale & EoL
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:39 am 

These are the dates I took a note of when the announcement for 8000 EOL came out, although looks like they are revising the document and it doesn't link to an active page atm.

My understanding is it'll be Nimble/Primera going forward, with 3PAR being phased out.

Not sure how the 2nd hand support will work out, if it'll transfer for those extended dates.

Code:
Milestone                                 Date         Explanation
End-of-Life Announcement                  15-Feb-2021   Notification of product entering the End-of-Life period
Discontinuance                           30-Apr-2021   HPE orders after this date will be fulfilled subject to inventory availability
Obsolescence                              31-Aug-2021   Last day to purchase an HPE 3PAR StoreServ 8000 Storage system, subject to inventory availability
Last (OS) version qualification                  3PAR OS 3.3.1   Last version of the HPE 3PAR OS supported on HPE 3PAR StoreServ 8000 storage systems
End-of-sale date for Hardware Upgrades         31-Aug-2024   Last day to purchase additional disk capacity and other hardware (Upgrade Node Pairs, Drive Enclosures, Options and Adapters) for existing HPE 3PAR StoreServ 8000 systems subject to inventory availability
End-of-sale date for HPE 3PAR add-on software   31-Aug-2025   Last day to purchase licenses for add-on software
End-of-Engineering Support                  31-Aug-2026   Last date of engineering-support availability for components and associated versions of HPE 3PAR OS
Minimum Support Period                     31-Aug-2026   HPE Support on 3PAR StoreServ 8000 Storage Hardware and Software is available until at least this date.

Post subject: Re: 3PAR 8200 End of Sale & EoL
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:27 am 

Are you looking at the 8200 as a permanent replacement for you existing one or just a temporary thing during relocation? HPE has something called Renew/Refurbished. Work with your suppliers to query HPE about availability.

If this is a permanent replacement, looking at the dates below I would perhaps consider a change of technology. Primera can replicate with 3PAR and you can do peer motion replication from 3PAR. It comes at a higher price, but that might be worth it for your specific need right now.