HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: VASA Provider
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:31 pm 

Good afternoon, colleagues.
Can you please tell me if there is a feature when connecting a vasa provider? I connect according to the documentation "HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage and VMware vSphere 6.5 best practices", but I see a certificate error Error: org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: Tag mismatch! occured as provider
After connecting, the storage status is disconnected.
NTP server is configured on all devices, DNS records are created.
3PAR 8450
vCenter 6.7 version

Post subject: Re: VASA Provider
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:24 am 

what is the exact version of vcenter and 3PAR OS version?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:03 am 

MammaGutt wrote:

3PAR Release version 3.3.1 (MU5)
vCenter version 6.7.0.46000

Through trial and error, I came to the conclusion that VASA provider does not work exactly in the ratio of these versions. Tried installing a lower version of vcenter 6.7.0.40000 VASA connected fine.
In vcenter 6.7.0.46000 in sps.log logs
2021-02-17T20:40:53.521Z [pool-12-thread-4] WARN opId= com.vmware.vim.sms.provider.vasa.VersionHandler - [isLegacyProvider] Failed to retrive version information from provider - : PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target name =

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:59 am 

Radeon wrote:
MammaGutt wrote:

3PAR Release version 3.3.1 (MU5)
vCenter version 6.7.0.46000

Through trial and error, I came to the conclusion that VASA provider does not work exactly in the ratio of these versions. Tried installing a lower version of vcenter 6.7.0.40000 VASA connected fine.
In vcenter 6.7.0.46000 in sps.log logs
2021-02-17T20:40:53.521Z [pool-12-thread-4] WARN opId= com.vmware.vim.sms.provider.vasa.VersionHandler - [isLegacyProvider] Failed to retrive version information from provider - : PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target name =

Yeah. Not sure where this would belong but I would log a case with both HPE and Vmware to see where that takes you :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 pm 

FYI, I have a case w/ HPE and VMware, both have confirmed this is an issue w/ the latest VCSA build (6.7.0.46000). My understanding is that it only impacts arrays that've been updated to 3.3.1 MU5. The recommendation was to revert to previous version of vCenter or upgrade to 7.0.

I ended up restoring using vCSA backups I took prior to upgrading.

HPE is pointing the finger at VMware, of course. Granted, I have no issue w/ Pure or Nimble vvols, just 3PAR. Both vendors have closed my tickets, so no clue how to get notification when the issue is resolved. It's also great that there is no KB article about this pretty major issue.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:28 am 

Jagged wrote:
FYI, I have a case w/ HPE and VMware, both have confirmed this is an issue w/ the latest VCSA build (6.7.0.46000). My understanding is that it only impacts arrays that've been updated to 3.3.1 MU5. The recommendation was to revert to previous version of vCenter or upgrade to 7.0.

I ended up restoring using vCSA backups I took prior to upgrading.

HPE is pointing the finger at VMware, of course. Granted, I have no issue w/ Pure or Nimble vvols, just 3PAR. Both vendors have closed my tickets, so no clue how to get notification when the issue is resolved. It's also great that there is no KB article about this pretty major issue.

Good luck!

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/do ... 11235en_us

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:22 am 

Thanks to everyone for the answers, we created a support ticket and received an answer from them about the problem of these particular versions. We decided to update the vCenter. Neither HPE nor VMware provide an answer on the timing of the fix.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:27 pm 

Can anyone confirm what version of Vcenter 7.0 this VASA issue is resolved in?

We run 3.3.1 MU5 on our 3par and now run Vcenter 6.7 U3 with (now) non functional VVOL data stores. :x Thankfully the PE's are still functional, hopefully they stay working.

HP tech says that the VVOL issue is untested and does not work in anything later then vcenter 6.7.0.45000 as does the attached HPE advisory.
Attachment:
Advisory_ HPE 3PAR_VASA.pdf [91.22 KiB]
Downloaded 1059 times

However, the link below to VMWARE's release notes for vcenter 6.7.0 U3 suggests upgrading to anything newer then 7.0 1c:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphe ... notes.html

Thanks in advance for the response!