HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Force delete volume with retention period set
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:37 am 

Sorry for the dumb question, but the internet did not provide much of an answer.

I'd like to force delete a snapshot with a retention period set on it. It was just for testing and needs to be removed.

Even with the removevv -f switch, it won't delete!

Post subject: Re: Force delete volume with retention period set
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:54 am 

Cli reference guide :

NOTE: If the volume is not in any domain, then its retention time cannot exceed the value of the system'sVVRetentionTimeMax. The default value for the system's VVRetentionTimeMax is 14 days. If the volume belongs to adomain, then its retention time cannot exceed the value of the domain's VVRetentionTimeMax, if set. The retention timecannot be removed or reduced once it is set. If the volume has its retention time set, it cannot be removed within its retention time. If both expiration time and retention time are specified, then the retention time cannot be longer than theexpiration time.This option requires the HPE 3PAR Virtual Lock license.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:55 am 

lol so Im screwed and have to wait a week no matter what?

:(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:26 pm 

T16 wrote:
lol so Im screwed and have to wait a week no matter what?

:(

That is retention time working as intended.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:02 pm 

I find it deeply frustrating that as the OWNER of the system, I cannot perform a function which I desire.

Seems absolutely ridiculous. What would you do if someone clicked a wrong digit and put a retention on for a year or so, by accident, for snap-shotting a volume-set? You are telling me that you would potentially be stuck with a whole heap of snapshots you are unable to do anything about on your own system?!

What if you had a legal case for having to get rid of that data?

If this truly is the case, we will not purchase another 3Par again, and will probably just move everything fully into the cloud.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:07 pm 

T16 wrote:
I find it deeply frustrating that as the OWNER of the system, I cannot perform a function which I desire.

Seems absolutely ridiculous. What would you do if someone clicked a wrong digit and put a retention on for a year or so, by accident, for snap-shotting a volume-set? You are telling me that you would potentially be stuck with a whole heap of snapshots you are unable to do anything about on your own system?!

What if you had a legal case for having to get rid of that data?

If this truly is the case, we will not purchase another 3Par again, and will probably just move everything fully into the cloud.

Default the max retention time is like 14 days or so. You need to change a system parameter to change that.

As for legal matters, what about the opposite where you have a legal demand to keep something for X amount of days/week. Unless you can set retention time (and that isn’t oberwritable/changable after it is set) you can’t do that. If the most common use case, SLA.

Same for tapes as well.... and any other array I know that supports this. Don’t demo on production systems :) Retention time is retention time. You set it to make absolutely sure that no one (even with access) accidentially deletes something that really needs to stay there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:46 am 

Guys, after some more rummaging there is the VVRetentionTimeMax, which can be set by array or domain, and by default is 14 days!

Thankfully we can now keep this at 14, or lower, and avoid any wayward finger slips setting stuff for years.

PHEW!! :) I can have a beer now.