HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3par next available LUN ID
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:38 pm 

Hoping someone can help.

Due to a load of testing, our AutoID for the LUN ID is now up to about 150 or so, despite the fact that there are only 4 actual vv's on the current system.

Is there any way to reset this auto ID for vv's back to what is next in line, or is it that dumb that it will increment forever and ever despite the next actual available LUN ID being 5!? :)

I pray there is a simple CLI command!

Post subject: Re: 3par next available LUN ID
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:05 pm 

That sounds wierd.

Everytime I remember using it, it always starts on 0 for the first volume to a new host.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:49 pm 

Isnt that the export LunID?

I just created a new vv, no export, and leaving the advanced setting to AutoID (no exporting) it came up as 151, and on the other array, 70, despite each array only having 4 luns to run the base VMs for our Vsphere setup.

Wish it could be reset somehow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:45 pm 

Riiiiiiight. VV ID.

To my knowledge this will increment until reaching 128k or something. I’m guessing this ID should be unique as long as possible but you can set the ID using CLI and maybe you can in SSMC as well. I remember I heard at one point about one unix-based OS requiring that ID to be identical when migrating to new storage... could have been here :)

Just checking, any reason you want this? That ID isn’t very visible anywhere and seems to be very internal to the 3par

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:35 pm 

It was just to keep it on AutoID and let the vv-set and the lun ID match what was presented out to the esxi hosts.

Now we have a situation whereby 5 is the next lunID, also in the vv set, also presented to the hosts, and of course in the hosts iscsi device list also. What it means is that they all match, apart from the vvID which decides it wants to be 152 now, even though of course none of these vv's even exist!

Its like they coded the intelligence for all the other IDs to follow the next logical gap/available ID, but not the vv-id. Seems a bit odd that I will have staff who if now they leave the AutoID box checked, will get a LUN presented to esxi in the hundreds, unless they add it to a vv-set, which is auto exported to the host-set!

Argh!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:50 pm 

Well. As soon as you have one VV that isn't a part of your vvset or one volume that isn't exported to all servers, that would "break" anyways.

Also, .srdata and admin would be 0 and 1 on most system so that also breaks your plan.

The thing here is that every volume needs an ID. A snapshot is a volume too. I have to be honest, that ID has never been anything I cared about noticing.