HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: bulk remove snapshots
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:18 pm 

Hello All,

I have a Virtual Volume that I have exported to a host set. My backup software has created snapshots of this volume and because of a bug I just found is leaving the snapshots behind. So now I have a large number of snapshots, and some are RO and others are RW. The RW are exported to both my backup server and one of the hosts in the set. I have confirmed with my backup provider I can delete these snapshots. I was wondering if there is a preferred way or a bulk way I can remove these snapshots.

Thanks,
Scott

Post subject: Re: bulk remove snapshots
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:52 pm 

Never thought about it but considering they are COW snaps I'm guessing the best way is to delete the oldest first as that should result in absolutely no consolidations of the snapshots.

If you had 3 snaps and deleted the middle one, then the 3PAR would have to consolidate that snapshot into the newest one to ensure you only had one (and the correct) version of each block that had changed (assuming the same block was touched in both snaps).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:38 am 

Right we should delete the oldest ones first. Is there a way to bulk delete them in that order? Or do I have to do that by hand. Looks like removevv actually deletes the snaps but they are also exported. I have not found a command yet that exports a VV yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:57 am 

"removevlun" to unexport.