HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Modify SSMC 3.2 to allow access to 3par OS 3.1.2?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:14 pm 

Hello everyone!

I am trying to gain access to my 3par 7200, OS 3.1.2

I am out of contract and warranty, so do not have the ability to download the new OS update at this time. (HPE Support requests are taken as sales opportunities, but this is a for fun/learning hobby)

I have managed to get running SSMC versions 3.1 3.2 and the recent versions which are publicly downloadable, but none are compatible with 3par os 3.1.2 (Tracking down 3.1 and 3.2 took nearly all the "Google foo" I have and over a week or messing around)

I am hoping someone can help me figure out how to access this 3par. I have managed to gain access to the CLI, which I am slowly making progress with (have a vlun actually working!) but this process would be way faster if I had a working GUI.

Maybe:
1) Be pointed to where I can edit the /opt/hpe/ssmc/ssmcbase/??? files to allow the older os to be perceived as compatible? (Probably this wont work..?)
2) Find a copy of SSMC 3.1.2 (I assume it too was public, so there should be a copy somewhere, if not, or if not allowed, I understand why.)
3) Find an upgrade OS for 3par? --> This is think is least likely, as the software appears to be gated.

Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Modify SSMC 3.2 to allow access to 3par OS 3.1.2?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Wondering if you called support, after they verify you are off contract, they will offer time and materials quote for services if you are interested. I wonder if they will provide a quote to do a 1 time software upgrade?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 am 

If I'm not mistaken, the old/unsupported versions of 3PAR (prior to 3.1.3) OS doesn't support the commands used by SSMC. So I don't think there is a quick fix.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:45 am 

Richard Siemers wrote:
Wondering if you called support, after they verify you are off contract, they will offer time and materials quote for services if you are interested. I wonder if they will provide a quote to do a 1 time software upgrade?

I did call, but they actually pushed me to sales for a support contract, which I declined.

This makes sense though, I'll call back and ask about this option. Good thought!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:41 pm 

Yeah, they round about said no. Either get a support contract or buy new hardware. Guess I just get to hangout with an old os.

Thanks for the guidance though. Appreciate it.