HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Upgrade 7450c from 3.2.1 MU3 to 3.2.2 MU6 containing E7Y57A
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:44 am 

Hi guys,
just a question around upgrades on 7x series kit. We have an old 7450c which has fallen out of maintenance with HPE and is currently just sat on hardware breakfix with 3rd party. It's running 3.2.1MU3 and contains of a number of 1.92TB SSD (E7Y57A). Now I am being asked if we can add more drives (it also has an M6710 expansion shelf). I told them sure, as long as the drives are the right type (All ours are currently DOPE1920S5xnNMRI 3P04 ). Looking at the HPE compatibility lists I can see there appears to be ONLY this version of the drive as above which would be compatible with 3.2.1 MU3 (https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public ... cale=en_US). All the others appear to need at least MU3 + patches to be compatible.

If I can't get old of the right drives I guess we'd need to uplift the array to 3.2.2 MU6 (which I believe is the current target version for 7x series) or at least 3.2.1 plus more patches or MU packs in order to have access to a wider array of drives.

However I'm not sure HPE would do a code uplift on a T&M basis and I know the business plan is to decomm this kit within a year and so they don't want to spend a lot of money here.

If HPE would not do the upgrade under T&M are there any other options for performing the upgrade? I've not done one myself since the days of 3.1.1/2 and that was on pre-production kit.

Any advice appreciated.
thanks
Ad.

Post subject: Re: Upgrade 7450c from 3.2.1 MU3 to 3.2.2 MU6 containing E7Y
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:40 pm 

You cloud try and contact HPE support to get the latest OS code and patches. It seems that others have gotten it before. If not, then installing 3.2.2 MU6 would be a breach of EULA and considered software piracy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:04 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
You cloud try and contact HPE support to get the latest OS code and patches. It seems that others have gotten it before. If not, then installing 3.2.2 MU6 would be a breach of EULA and considered software piracy.

I wasn't saying I would do it without HPE approval I'm just asking if there are other routes aside from having a full support contract in place. In any event it appears that's the route which has been taken. No support contract - no upgrade. So I guess we're at an impasse in that regard.

We'll maybe take the risk and order some refurb drives. Who knows we may get lucky and end up with the ones we need.

thanks
Ad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:47 am 

The only official way is a support contract.

However I've not seen any clear communication from HPE about what you are entitled to when the contract ends. In some software contracts you are allowed access to whatever what the latest version at the time of your contract expiring, some require you to "opt-in" for that latest version before the contract expires and some just go "nope, too late".

As someone in this forum have previously been successful with the first option, I mentioned that as a possibility. Getting the software from anywhere else (3rd party maintainer, etc) would be from HPE be considered a breach and it would become a legal discussion between you, the 3rd party and HPE.

So with that being said. Unless you've tried, contacting HPE might get you whatever was latest and greatest when your contract expired. Also, buying the drives from HPE might also get you what you need if you are open to the fact that you are on an old version with an expired contract. I have had experiences in the past that vendors provide one-off patches to enable sales and installation of new products.