HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 7400 and 8200 decommission and reuse
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:20 am 

I am in the middle of decommissioning some 3PAR's that have encryption enabled. I know I can hook up to the console and do a deinstallation of the units. Does this also disable encryption and reset the SED keys? I've tried finding something about deleting the keys and resetting the drives to not be encrypted but there is really only stuff out there on enabling encryption. The encryption menu options in the management console are grayed out and the CLI command docs only show anything about enabling.

Secondary question: Can I use reuse the shelves with a RAID controller or do they only work hooked up to a 3PAR controller?

Thanks,
Jason

Post subject: Re: 7400 and 8200 decommission and reuse
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:15 pm 

Quote:
Secondary question: Can I use reuse the shelves with a RAID controller or do they only work hooked up to a 3PAR controller?

:? Shudder, the disks are 520bps (bytes per sector) most of the drive models can be re-formatted back to 512bps. But due to 3PAR's modified firmware this isn't a good idea. :!:

I personally know of someone who took a shelf of 3TB from a 7200 and re-formatted all the disks and wanted to use them a Veeam Backup repository. the LSI raid controller kept dropping/failing and after 3 months of trips into the data-center he just abandoned the whole project.
(BTW The smart data on the drives was unavailable)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:28 am 

Good to know, thanks! I'm going to see if I can get the whole unit with controllers but was curious if it'd work without very well. I knew the drives were 520 and know how to get them reformatted to 512 without issue but I didn't consider the custom firmware on them.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:34 pm 

Found my answer for the encryption piece, just need to initialize the array.

Quote:
De-installing the array
Removing an encrypted array from service will require the user to initialize the array. Once the array is initialized the secure encryption key
will be erased from each drive rendering the data irretrievable. Once this occurs no user data will remain on the array. In order for the array
to be encrypted again, the user would need to start encryption as detailed earlier in the paper. It should be noted unless the encryption
license is deleted, it would not be necessary to obtain a new license.

From: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-7605ENW.pdf