HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3PAR RCIP configuration
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:49 am 

Hi I am trying to to configure RCIP using two 3par storage but after configuring RCIP ports I could not ping from primary to DR ports IP's.

3. Site A primary
4. Left HBA 172.24.23.1 172.24.23.250 255.255.255.0 0:3:1
5. Right HBA 172.24.23.2 172.24.23.250 255.255.255.0 1:3:1

6. Site B DR
7. Left HBA 10.201.0.10 10.201.0.250 255.255.255.0 0:3:1
8. Right HBA 10.201.0.11 10.201.0.250 255.255.255.0 1:3:1

I can ping gateway IP's ..

what could be the issue ??

Post subject: Re: 3PAR RCIP configuration
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:32 am 

Sorry, you probably tried this already. Can the gateway ping each other, just making sure the link between the two sites is communicating?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:20 am 

Now to test my troubleshooting, I am experts exchange certified also so please be calm ;).
I have recently been working on the exact setups.

Firstly some tips
-Use the terms node 0 and node 1 for the 3PAR
-Use the terms RCIP Port and MGMT Port for the ethernet ports on node 0 and node 1 for the 3PAR systems
-Can you include model numbers of both 3PAR
-Lastly these devices should be installed and configured by HPE or certified 3PAR engineers, I do believe however this kind of setup can be completed by a skilled and experienced IT engineer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:28 am 

use the controlportrcip command to test connectivity between RCIP ports in both sites.
both RCIP ports on both site A and site B should be able to ping each other with less than 20MS latency ideally and NO packet loss. Please refer to 3PAR remote copy guide for more info on this command.

controlportrcip in conjunction with a ping to the gateway of the same VPN(same vpn being used to run a VPN and provide contact for RCIP ports)this helped me isolate my issue which was our targets were not syncing

- be careful using traffic shaping at firewall level, if your planning on capping this I would try at 3PAR level first, our firewall was discarding 25% of our RCIP packets because it was breaking the traffic cap, we did not have a great level of logging on our FW at the time so this did not help.

- be careful with your DNS and Network time settings on both systems they should be pointed to Active Directory and can cause issues with rcopygroups and 3PAR systems if AD goes down, or even a secondary DC, keep this in mind.

- there is also a 3par connectivity test you can run from Source 3PAR to Destination 3PAR, this will tell you if your networking conditions are suitable enough for RCIP

- Currently we have a 10MEG dedicated wireless line with a VPN running over the top of it to provide good facility for 2 X high enough IO volumes to sync.
1 X volume at 15mins with 4TB of servers(getting near instant sync at times on this, 3 minutes was the best I seen which is brilliant, sometimes it does go out of sync but never by much unless we are in some kind of a DR or recovery operation)
1 X volume at 24hrs with 4TB of servers

If you want some consultancy on this matter from you contact user Markbill99(me) on experts exchange.

Other useful commands to help
all ssh commands that can run under 3paradm account
showrcopy -d
showrcopy
showtask
showtask -d taskid
stoprcopygroup rcopygroupname
startrcopygroup rcopygroupname

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 pm 

I thought id reply to this old post as it wasn't answered and seems alot like the issue i have.

I have two 3PAR 7450c with 3.2.2 MU6

I could not get the two systems rcip ports to ping each other.

Hosts on the different the subnets could ping each other and the 3PAR's could ping everything except each other.

The problem still remains and i have a case logged with hpe.

But in the meantime, i have found that; if i run checkrclink it is successful and agrees that the links are ok. If i run the ping tests whilst checkrclink is running they are successful. As soon as checkrclink ends, the 3PAR's again cant ping each other

I have reconfigured the ports to be on the same subnet and the problem is gone.

it seems to me that checkrclink adds a route whilst setting up the test and removes it on completion.

HP's initial response was that it is a network issue but it is not and i have gone back to them with my findings and await their reply.

Cheers