HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Deleting snapshots
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:34 am 

Hello,

We seem to have a collection of snapshots that were created back in Dec 2017, long before I came around.

I want to ask if it is safe to simply delete these snapshots. We do not use snapshots at all in production (everything for backups and such is done via Dell and vmware)

None of them are exported, most of them actually do not even appear to be using any CPG space or user space, all show me 0.

Deleting the snapshot will not affect the parent correct? Since the snapshot is not promoted.

Post subject: Re: Deleting snapshots
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:42 am 

Correct.

3PAR uses copy-on-write (CoW) snapshots, so the snapshots actually only contain the old overwritten data so deleting it will not even cause any backend IOs (unlike Vmware and such) which have the new data in the snapshot and the parent stays just like it was when the snapshot was taken and when you delete/purge the snapshot it needs to merge them.

Deleting old Vmware snaps are always fun if your storage is already pretty loaded.

Post subject: Re: Deleting snapshots
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 pm 

Thank you MammaGutt,

I was trying to go back on my training notes I had on snapshots and recall COW method, but never can be too safe!

As you said, thinking vmware where a snapshot works a little differently and is live basically, so you delete it by accident, your hosed!

3PAR did it right in my mind then, just copy over old data to the snapshot and keep the original VV as the active, live source.

Off to go delete old snapshots then.