HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: VV sets and LUN ID
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 am 

When creating new virtual volumes we always assign them to a specific "virtual volume set".

We did a mistake and exported a new volume (lets call it VV-mistake) to a host set (called vm-1) instead to the VV set where it was meant to go (vm-1vvset). That host set (vm-1) contains the same hosts (ESXs) that are part of the VV set "vm-1-vvset".

1) The LUN ID assigend to "VV-mistake" is 27.
2) The LUN ID of the last volume imported into the VV set "vm-1vvset" currently has the LUN ID 26

We need to correct the current configuration so we were planning to create a new VV and import it into the vm1-vvset. Then we could manually migrate the VMs and remove that VV.

However if we try to import a new VV into the virtual volume set "vm-1vvset", would LUN ID 27 get assigned to the next imported volume? If that is the case we are screwed.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: VV sets and LUN ID
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:18 am 

I would just export a new Volume directly to one of the esx host and move the data from the VV-mistake lun over to that one.

Keep in mind that it has to be our of the range that you have exported your vv-set to the host-set
So take a look under VLUN Templates on the VV-Set.

Then un-export the VV-mistake lun.

And then you add a new volume to the volume set and it should only be to move the data back again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:25 am 
Site Admin

I've made a few mistakes like that myself... and going forward no longer use VV sets, only host sets. It seems to be easier to manage in our environment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 am 

Richard Siemers wrote:
I've made a few mistakes like that myself... and going forward no longer use VV sets, only host sets. It seems to be easier to manage in our environment.

Everywhere I look, they say in 3.2.2, HP fixed LUN IDs being sequential and now when you add new VV into a VVSET, it will skip used LUNIDs but it`s not doing that. Do you know anything about that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:47 pm 

Exporting volume sets to hosts is evil and nasty :-)

that aside ... you could cludge your way around things by ..

1) Export VV-mistake to the host set a 2nd time, with a high LUN ID (say 100)
2) Rescan for storage on VMware, vmware should treat the extra LUN ID to a volume it already knows about as extra paths.
3) Un-export vv-mistake from LUN ID 27 on the host set
4) Rescan
5) Add vv-mistake ot the volume set, it should go in as the LUN ID you are expecting
6) rescan
7) Unexport vv-mistake from host set LUN ID 100
8) rescan