HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Which volumes are linked to a base volume.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:28 pm 

Hi guys,

Firstly a bit of background.

We have 2 3PARs. We created a remote copy setup for a volume from SAN A to SAN B. SAN A is production. SAN B is DR.

On SAN B, we took at least 1 virtual copy and 1 physical copy of the base volume to test DR.

We are now deleting the remote copy and base volumes. Deleting the Remote Copy config was easy, as was deleting the base volume on SAN A.

Whilst trying to delete the base volume (or any of the snapshots or copies) on SAN B, in IMC I am getting the message 'In order to remove these volumes, you need to select 'Select to also delete' checkbox.'

This check box will delete all Snapshots, physical copies, any volumes of which are exported to a host (including active ones) and any volumes that are part of a volume set.

This is fine, but I want to check which volumes are the relevant snapshots and physical copies of the base volume before I delete them so I can check they are not in use. I can't see the links between the volumes anywhere. Where can I find this info. Do I need to drop to the CLI? If so, which commands do I need?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Which volumes are linked to a base volume.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:57 pm 

Not sure about physical copies, but for snapshots you will see a + in front of the VV in IMC and it will be listed in showvv -s as "snp" volumes directly listed below the base volume. Not sure about SSMC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:18 am 

Hi guys,

I've managed to track down most of the links to the volume and delete them. Most of these were VV set memberships or similar.

I'm stuck with a virtual copy though.

The name of the virtual copy is rcpy.2.44.1.1. This makes me think the copy is from remote copy. The base volume was a replica of a volume on another system, but the remote copy config has been modified to remove the replication of this volume.

When I right click on the copy in IMC, the option to remove is greyed out. The copy is not showing any set membership and no hosts or VLUNs are listed on the volume. The creation date is over a year ago.

How can I delete this virtual Copy volume?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:54 pm 

You are correct, it is remote copy. It should remove itself when you delete the volume from the remote copy group.