HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Best practice for VMWare View with 3PAR - Use Linked Clones?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:41 am 

Hi,

I'm looking for a best practice guide for VMWare View with 3PAR storage.
Didn't found anything at HP, so maybe someone here has some experience with this subject?
Before 3PAR, we were using Linked Clones with VMWare View and Composer, so we ensured that the
clones were thin-provisioned by ESX, and didn't need much space.
Now with 3PAR being able of thin-provisioned VVs, we're wondering if there's still need for linked clones,
as it would mean twice thin-provisioning, once on VMWare level and again on 3PAR.
Doing so, we could not make any assumption on needed disk-space and are vulnerable at blowing either our VMFS or our VV. :(
So, how do you roll out View with 3PAR? How about performance with (thin) linked-clones and fully provisioned VV or without linked clones (e.g. with thick provisioned volumes on VMWare) and thin VV on 3PAR?

Post subject: Re: Best practice for VMWare View with 3PAR - Use Linked Clo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:55 am 

I would just use thick eager zeroed in VMware and thin on the 3PAR. ( Remember to enable zero detect on the VV )

You could ofc use thick / thick but don't think you would see much change in performance.

Haven t used linked Clones before but as I understand is that you have one base IMG disk that is used and all writes to each linked clone are written to the Data store.

Might be a best practice on how many linked clones you should run per Data store.