HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Solaris peer perstistence (alua with standby paths)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:46 am 

Hello,
is peer persistence/transparent failover supported with Solaris 11.2? So if I have a synchronous remote copy pair, can I failover from one 3par to the other without service disruption with Solaris 11.2? I read the Solaris implemention guide. No word of peer persistence, I searched spock, no word of peer persistance, so I'm not sure if they support it. The 3PAR runs at 3.3.1 MU2+ all patches. We use the native Solaris multipathing driver with Solaris 11.2. Where can I find a document from HPE stating which operating systems support peer persistence with 3.3.1 MU2?

So far I have not enabled auto_failover and have not presented the volumes from the secondary 3par.

Cheers,
Thomas

Post subject: Re: Solaris peer perstistence (alua with standby paths)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:16 am 

SPOCK - > Software - >Array SW:3PAR
You should find Peer Persistence Host OS Support Matrix.... And Solaris is mentioned there with some requirements.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:48 am 

As pointed out it is on the support list but as you noticed no one has bothered to add documentation for I think any OS guide beside VMware (maybe Windows).

I have poked HPE a couple of times about this in the past.

We have been using it on Solaris for a while and seems to work okay (at least manual switch overs). Main things to check is on 3PAR persona 2 and try to check on Solaris that the paths have something that looks like active/passive paths that switch when you test changing arrays. Generally you can search for Solaris and ALUA to attempt to get some guidance on what to do at the Solaris end (nothing HPE related last time I looked). I think on Solaris 11 the defaults work okay but some of the 3PAR tweaks used on older Solaris changed pathing rules which got in the way. We've only been using it on newly setup boxes or ones that haven't been around since Solaris 8 or something (I'm not a Solaris admin btw ;) ).

The 3PAR side of the Docs are the same, matching WWN and preferably LUN ID on both sides, rcopy group settings etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:33 am 

Hello MamaGutt,

MammaGutt wrote:
SPOCK - > Software - >Array SW:3PAR
You should find Peer Persistence Host OS Support Matrix.... And Solaris is mentioned there with some requirements.

thank you, I found it.

Cheers,
Thomas