HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 MU6 Upgrade
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:40 pm 

Well folks, I'm not having great luck with my upgrades. I tried to upgrade our 7400c from 3.2.1 (M2) to 3.2.2 (MU6). The matrix spreadsheet said I should be able to go directly there.

It's been sitting at "ping StoreServ state(5)" over and over for 115 minutes now, with no sign of stopping. Almost like it's hung up. I can ping the admin interface, but I can't SSH to it or connect via SSMC or IMC. For a while, I couldn't even ping it. The storage seems to all be functioning still, but I cannot connect to either node. Not even from the serial ports. I get a login, but it doesn't recognize the 3paradm account.

Anyone have any ideas? Of course, my customer let maintenance on this slip for 10 months or so. Nice work, customer.

I feel like if I could manually reboot one of the nodes somehow, specifically node 0 because I think node one is upgraded first. Without being able to login, I don't know how to do that, or even if that's advisable.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 MU6 Upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:34 am 

Not saying anything when in the process this happened during the upgrade or what versions of SP and upgrade tool you are using, I'm taking a stab on the master node rebooting and the new master node is either not connected to the network or the network port is configured in the wrong VLAN.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
Not saying anything when in the process this happened during the upgrade or what versions of SP and upgrade tool you are using, I'm taking a stab on the master node rebooting and the new master node is either not connected to the network or the network port is configured in the wrong VLAN.

SP was at version 4.4 MU7 prior to the upgrade. All I did was mount the iso from the SP and do an online upgrade. It seemed to go well with node one. In fact, node one was showing as 3.2.2 before I lost connectivity. When I try to serial in, the CLI shows its at 3.2.2. It pings, but I can't make an ssh connection or any other.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:57 am 

Seems like the new node didn't join the cluster so the omd isn't able to progress or something.

Which version (if any) of the upgrade tool did you load on the SP? That tools collection seems to be a partial or full replacement of the scripts the upgrade team used before.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
Seems like the new node didn't join the cluster so the omd isn't able to progress or something.

Which version (if any) of the upgrade tool did you load on the SP? That tools collection seems to be a partial or full replacement of the scripts the upgrade team used before.

I didn't load any actual upgrade tool(s). I just logged into the SP, went to "Update", then selected "Update HP 3PAR OS", like usual. Proceeded with the online upgrade. It passed all the validation checks. I looked at checkhealth -detail and showpd -failed -degraded prior to going. Everything seemed fine.

Is there some different upgrade tool I'm supposed to be using even for 3.2.2? I've heard of an upgrade tool for 3.3.1, but I haven't seen it listed in my software downloads, but haven't looked really hard for it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:04 pm 

The remote team uses it for 3.2.2 as well. Think the latest I have was version 013, but that was a few months ago.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:30 pm 

MammaGutt wrote:
The remote team uses it for 3.2.2 as well. Think the latest I have was version 013, but that was a few months ago.

Hmm...I found it. 015 is available since this September. I guess I'll have try that on my next one. That stinks.

At any rate, I still have this hung up install. Any insight into breaking this loose? 800 minutes later, we're still hung. If I had to guess, node 1 is upgraded all the way. Seems like it hung on rebooting node 0. Is there any way to manually take a node down? Do you think it's even a good idea to try?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:26 pm 

If the system is "healthy", rebooting the correct will most likely fix the problem. Reboot the wrong node and the system crashes.

I would log a case and have support check it out. As you've tried to upgrade the software it means you have support or breached the EULA on the software.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:50 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
If the system is "healthy", rebooting the correct will most likely fix the problem. Reboot the wrong node and the system crashes.

I would log a case and have support check it out. As you've tried to upgrade the software it means you have support or breached the EULA on the software.

Yeah. I can't tell which one is in the best shape. My customer is going to try to pay for one-time support. They let the damn support lapse 10 months on this array. Unbelievable. I didn't know this array wasn't covered for 10 months.