HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Changing the RAID layout and future upgrades
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:15 am 

I need advice going forward on our 3PAR 8400 4 node.
It has 4 cages in total (including the ones with the controller nodes).
We initially bought it with 48 3.84TB SSD drives and are running RAID5 7+1 (magazine availability). We subsequently expanded the system by 8 disks now total of 56 Disks and remained on RAID5 7+1.
This is now an unbalanced system.

We are going to expand the system again with another 8 disks and we will have 64 disks in total. This makes me consider my options.

I prefer to change the RAID layout to RAID6 for better resiliency (even though we never had any disk failures). I could go for RAID 6 14+2 without loosing any usable space compared to the current RAID level.

Would this be a good idea?

However, if and when we need to expand again the next balanced configuration is with 96 disks which is too big a jump for the money men :roll:

How big a deal is it to run the system unbalanced anyway?

What would you guys do?

Thank you :D

Post subject: Re: Changing the RAID layout and future upgrades
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:23 am 

skumflum wrote:
We initially bought it with 48 3.84TB SSD drives and are running RAID5 7+1 (magazine availability). We subsequently expanded the system by 8 disks now total of 56 Disks and remained on RAID5 7+1.

We are going to expand the system again with another 8 disks and we will have 64 disks in total. This makes me consider my options.

I prefer to change the RAID layout to RAID6 for better resiliency (even though we never had any disk failures). I could go for RAID 6 14+2 without loosing any usable space compared to the current RAID level.

However, if and when we need to expand again the next balanced configuration is with 96 disks which is too big a jump for the money men :roll:

What would you guys do?

I would say go for RAID6. You’re not really unbalanced from a hardware point of view with 56 drives, all cages have 14 drives. The number of drives per node doesn’t add up to the set size, but that is a very small problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:50 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
skumflum wrote:

What would you guys do?

I would say go for RAID6. You’re not really unbalanced from a hardware point of view with 56 drives, all cages have 14 drives. The number of drives per node doesn’t add up to the set size, but that is a very small problem.

Ok, but next time i expand with 8 disk it will get unbalanced from a per node point of view. This is not a problem?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:01 pm 

Why? You add two drives to each of your 4 cages.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:42 am 

MammaGutt wrote:

Yes all cages will get equal share of disk but if I run RAID 6 14+2 there will be a unbalance with regards to node ownership of disk and RAID distribution.

I will have 64 when I expand the disk now. This will allow a balanced RAID 6 14+2. The next number of disk is 80 if i insist on a keeping it balanced.... but If I only buys 8 more it will be unbalanced. But is this a big deal?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:28 am 

skumflum wrote:
MammaGutt wrote:

Yes all cages will get equal share of disk but if I run RAID 6 14+2 there will be a unbalance with regards to node ownership of disk and RAID distribution.

I will have 64 when I expand the disk now. This will allow a balanced RAID 6 14+2. The next number of disk is 80 if i insist on a keeping it balanced.... but If I only buys 8 more it will be unbalanced. But is this a big deal?

Remember that 3PAR looks at chunklets and not physical disks when growing. You have a balanced system from a hardware perspective (identical config behind each node, identical per backend port DP1/DP2 and identical per cage). You don't have a config per node to match your set size, but with a set size of 16 and 4 nodes you would need a multiple of 64 to stay perfectly alligned there. With SSDs that just isn't reasonable and not really a big issue anymore as it is unlikely that you are going to max the SSDs. If you were even close to that you would have a bigger issue with 8400 and not 8450 vs not writing full sets.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:46 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
skumflum wrote:
MammaGutt wrote:

Remember that 3PAR looks at chunklets and not physical disks when growing. You have a balanced system from a hardware perspective (identical config behind each node, identical per backend port DP1/DP2 and identical per cage). You don't have a config per node to match your set size, but with a set size of 16 and 4 nodes you would need a multiple of 64 to stay perfectly alligned there. With SSDs that just isn't reasonable and not really a big issue anymore as it is unlikely that you are going to max the SSDs. If you were even close to that you would have a bigger issue with 8400 and not 8450 vs not writing full sets.

Thank you. I will stop worrying about it :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:23 am 

Good afternoon,

If you are in need of some 3.84TB SSD's for your upgrade and increase in storage, I have about 70 pcs available, refurbished by HP, like new. I also have 1.8TB, K0F37A drives.
Pls PM me, if you need any specific 3PAR disks or other components.

Regards
Iveta