HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Windows host space reclamation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:00 am 

Hello,

I am having issues with reclaiming space on our Windows hosts. All hosts are server 2016 and the unmap option is enabled as it should be by default. If I copy files to the disk to grow the volume and then delete them, then proceed to run the optimize command everything seems to run fine. However when I go to compact the CPG in SSMC there is nothing to compact.

When I go through the same process on our vmware hosts I have successfully reclaimed the space and I was able to compact the CPG successfully.

Am I missing a step on the windows hosts in order for the system to reclaim the space? HPE support recommends running sdelete, however 2012 and up shouldn't need the use of sdelete. I know there is space to reclaim as we have deleted a good 10TB of user files as of recent.

Thanks,
Dan.

Post subject: Re: Windows host space reclamation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:00 am 

The reclaim from VV to CPG is not instant and may take some time for big changes like 10TB. Check showvv -s.

This is the same for vmware as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:04 am 

Its been almost a month already. I don't think time is the issue here.

This is one of the volumes:

3Par7200 cli% showvv -s
----Adm---- ---------Snp---------- --------------Usr--------------
---(MB)---- --(MB)--- -(% VSize)-- ------(MB)------- --(% VSize)-- ------(MB)------- -Capacity Efficiency-
Id Name Prov Type Rsvd Used Rsvd Used Used Wrn Lim Rsvd Used Used Wrn Lim Tot_Rsvd VSize Compaction Dedup
21 vol6 tpvv base 6784 6397 0 0 0.0 -- -- 9929472 7895602 75.3 0 0 9936256 10485760 1.3 --

It says reserved is 9936256 and used is 7895602, however this volume has been almost empty for about a month.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:50 pm 

hi,
ive noticed on win2k16 that optimize on a schedule or initiated sometimes doesnt enforce "retrim" have you tried?
Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter X -ReTrim –Verbose
and see the output?

also is disable delete notification enabled?
should be 0

Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem" -Name DisableDeleteNotification

DisableDeleteNotification : 0

if your retrim output shows a reclaimed value, it should reflect on your TPVV disk you have presented. it is not instant, but it is also not a month...all else being equal the optimize command with the retrim switch may help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:57 pm 

Proc_rqrd wrote:
hi,
ive noticed on win2k16 that optimize on a schedule or initiated sometimes doesnt enforce "retrim" have you tried?
Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter X -ReTrim –Verbose
and see the output?

also is disable delete notification enabled?
should be 0

Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem" -Name DisableDeleteNotification

DisableDeleteNotification : 0

if your retrim output shows a reclaimed value, it should reflect on your TPVV disk you have presented. it is not instant, but it is also not a month...all else being equal the optimize command with the retrim switch may help.

That is the command I was running. It seemingly does the same thing as the gui, but I ran both the command line and gui to make sure it ran. You can also run degrag /L, which also does the same thing.

None of those processes made any difference on the compact-able space, even after waiting more than a week since running it. I just ran an sdelete one a test volume and it seemed to make a difference on the user space when running the showvv -s command.

I think I will try running sdelete on the larger volumes once we get our extra hdd/ssd installed in a few days. Although on a 10TB volume sdelete will likely take over 48 hours to complete....uggg...vmware/linux works so much better.