HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: brocade switches and persistent ports during upgrades
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:10 am 

I'm a FC newbie as I normally deal with iSCSI so please excuse what may be a stupid question :)

I've been looking over all the instructions I got from the HPE guys that will do my 3.3.1 EMU1 > MU2 upgrade next week and everything is ok except I'm not sure about something on page 22. It's talking about persistent port failover and NPIV and WWN.

The comment says:
If SAN/Fabric does not support NPIV, “Persistent ports” functionality on 3PAR needs to be disabled to avoid any path loss issues during the 3PAR OS upgrade. This is applicable for OS upgrades from 3.1.2.x and above.

At the bottom of that section is says this is resolved in 3.2.2 MU4.

So my question is do I need to adjust the brocade switches per the commands in that section or can I leave everything alone? Is there a way for me to confirm if the brocade I have supports NPIV/is using NPIV which I assume would make that entire persistent ports section a non issue? I checked my config already and that enforce_login parameter is talks about is set to 0.

THanks

Post subject: Re: brocade switches and persistent ports during upgrades
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 pm 

hi kyle...
been using npiv/failover with our 3par arrays for many years now. most brocade switches FOS 6.x or higher have npiv enabled by default...you can verify with:
portcfgshow "portnumber"
aka
portcfgshow 0
a list will come up and the relevant fields are:
NPIV capability ON
NPIV PP Limit: 255

your 3par array will determine if the failover is possible by showing its failover "partner"

with show port or showport n:s:p
output will have a line for:
showport 0:1:2
at the end of the output should have:
Partner FailoverState
1:1:2 none

that means your are basically ready for node reboot/npiv port failover. works as designed. and well a wonderful insurance that your hosts are mostly...oblivious to your upgrade. with the years of buggy mpio/mapper issues out there from all the various OS vendors...this is worth it.

Post subject: Re: brocade switches and persistent ports during upgrades
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:32 pm 

thanks for the info. My FC switches do have the two parameters you mentioned and the 3par shows it's partner as well so it looks like I'm all set.

thanks!