HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Adding extra disks in to a different CPG
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 am 

Guys,

we have a 3par with lets says 4TB SSD disks. And were adding some more disks to the array but they are smaller disks so lets says 2TB SSD.

So when we add the disks i don't want these to add to the existing SSD CPG, I wish them to go to a new one. How can i do that? as I thought once they are added, they would automatically add themselves to the existing SSD CPG

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Adding extra disks in to a different CPG
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:01 am 

You'd need to add filters to all existing CPGs that would exclude the 2TB disks probably before adding the disks. Then once the 2TB disks go in create new CPGs that exclude the 4TB disks.

Obvious limits on IO, size etc per 'pool' then apply that you'll have to manage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:37 am 

So looking at the filters on the CPG, I can't see any that look at size, the only thing i could see was I can select like that was Device ID which I can see all the disks currently in my 3PAR is AREA7680S5xnNTRI, so surely these other disks will have a different Device ID.

My only worry with this method is, You know at certain points they have different people make the same size disk. So currently these disks are samsung disks, if we ever have one replaced and lets say seagate manufacture the replacement disk will the device ID change, or would that stay exactly the same?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:34 am 

Yeah that would be a pain to track, you could use mag/slot numbers as any replacements should be the same size and will go in the same slot or depending on the models the rpm value might be 100/150 (but I think only the smaller drives came at different speeds). Probably the best option would be the number of chunklet filters;

Code:
-tc_gt <number>
Specifies that physical disks with total chunklets greater than the number specified be
selected.
• -tc_lt <number>
Specifies that physical disks with total chunklets less than the number specified be selected.

But this isn't something I've needed/wanted to do so all theoretical. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:02 am 

ailean wrote:
Code:
-tc_gt <number>
Specifies that physical disks with total chunklets greater than the number specified be
selected.
• -tc_lt <number>
Specifies that physical disks with total chunklets less than the number specified be selected.

But this isn't something I've needed/wanted to do so all theoretical. ;)

I've had to use it (for FC drives) and it works as expected.