HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Move VV between Adaptive Optimization configurations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:49 am 

This seems like it should be an easy question, but I can't for the life of me find the answer.

I've got a bunch of Virtual Volumes in an Adaptive Optimization configuration. I want to move one of those into a different AO config.

I thought that you could just Edit, Convert or Tune it, but none of those has the AO configs as selectable CPGs.

I've tried using tunevv in the CLI but I get the same error where it says my AO profile isn't a valid CPG.

Am I doing something stupid?

Post subject: Re: Move VV between Adaptive Optimization configurations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:43 am 

You can't use cpg in two or more AO configuration at the same time.
You needt to create new CPG for each tiers and move vvol to target cpg, then create yet another AO configuration.

Be note that tunevv will crate new ld's and switched to them when copy operation finished. So that will required some additional temporary free disk space.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:37 am 

gtmtc wrote:
This seems like it should be an easy question, but I can't for the life of me find the answer.

I've got a bunch of Virtual Volumes in an Adaptive Optimization configuration. I want to move one of those into a different AO config.

I thought that you could just Edit, Convert or Tune it, but none of those has the AO configs as selectable CPGs.

Simply tune the VV into (preferably) the CPG listed as tier 1/FC in your other AO config. AO will run on all data within the CPGs in a AO config.

edit: Tune/Edit/convert doesn't understand AO, only CPGs.... In the same way AO doesn't understand VVs, just CPGs and regions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:00 am 

AlexFloyd wrote:
You can't use cpg in two or more AO configuration at the same time.
You needt to create new CPG for each tiers and move vvol to target cpg, then create yet another AO configuration.

Be note that tunevv will crate new ld's and switched to them when copy operation finished. So that will required some additional temporary free disk space.

Ah, thanks. I've got the new AO already, which has the new CPGs in (I'd forgotten that bit...!)

MammaGutt wrote:
Simply tune the VV into (preferably) the CPG listed as tier 1/FC in your other AO config. AO will run on all data within the CPGs in a AO config.

edit: Tune/Edit/convert doesn't understand AO, only CPGs.... In the same way AO doesn't understand VVs, just CPGs and regions.

I'm just slightly worried that if I move out of an AO (that contains SSD as it's Tier 0) into a CPG that's FC at Tier 1, I'll have to wait for all of the chunklets to be pulled out of flash into FC and then be put back into flash when the AO schedule runs.

Still, we've put the server running on this VVol into Maintenance Mode, so I've kicked off a Tune.

Thanks both, I shall update once that finishes.