HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Dedicated drives for LUNs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:29 am 

Hi again,

is there any way to use dedicated SSDs for specific LUNs? We are looking for a way to split two data sources as far as possible. Maybe one SAN is enough, but splitted dedicated hard drives would be needed.

Thanks

Dan

Post subject: Re: Dedicated drives for LUNs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:38 am 

There is but it's kind of against 3PAR design principals. :roll:

You could create two extra CPGs, each with a filter to include separate subsets of the existing disks.
Then place each of the VVs for the separated data into the one of the two new CPGs.

I'd leave all other VVs in your existing unfiltered CPGs, to follow best practice.

You'll also need to manually add any new disks to the filters to keep load distributed in future.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:26 am 

Are you wanting multiple tenants on the same array ? Sharing the array with multiple customers of your own ?
You could look at domains and see if that works for you. You can also create CPGs where you specify which disks would be used by the CPG .. "-dk" option when you use createcpg I think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:46 am 

Thank you guys,

no, i need at least a disk based separation between two internal projects due to legal reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:30 pm 

LgmDan wrote:
Thank you guys,

no, i need at least a disk based separation between two internal projects due to legal reasons.

ahh one of those ... best you'll get then is to create seperate CPGs and specify which disks will be part of each CPG.
Then go to your legal team and tell them to please get themselves up to date on how the past 4 generations of array technology have worked :-)
If you really REALLY need hard seperation then you probably shouldn't be sharing mid range arrays like the 3PAR, either get a seperate 3PAR or go look at Hitachi and EMC offerings.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:02 am 
Site Admin

If it hasn't been done already, comb through the requirements to validate that having the data on separate front end LUNs does not adequately meet the legal requirement. Context matters. When they say data can't be commingled on "disk", that is usually from the context of the application server, and less often intended for a modern storage appliance that does deduplication. Ask how this requirement is audited to help determine the spirit and intent of the context.

If you determine that the only option is to segregate backend storage phsyical disks, you are left with splitting your PDs into different CPGs which will split your performance into multiple islands, even though this is counter intuitive to performance design of 3PAR it is still a supported configuration. You need to size your PD counts in each CPG meet your performance requirements.

As someone currently managing some Hitachi arrays, my jaw dropped seeing one recommended here. This is either vendor shenanigans or someone who doesn't have to manage one day to day. 3PAR is hands down superior for ease of use and performance. It's the difference between driving a Tesla roadster vs WWII vintage US Army 2.5 ton truck, that's only a slight exaggeration. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:25 pm 

Richard Siemers wrote:
As someone currently managing some Hitachi arrays, my jaw dropped seeing one recommended here. This is either vendor shenanigans or someone who doesn't have to manage one day to day. 3PAR is hands down superior for ease of use and performance.

As someone how has managed a LOT of Hitcahi, EMC, Netapp, IBM, HP and various other arrays :-) I won't argue the 3PAR is easy to use and fast (our 8400s push around 14GB/s all day long)... it's just not what I'd catagorize as "enterprise class".
The software inside the arrays is appalingly buggy (even gives the early days of EVA a run for its money), nearly every patch release has fixes for "unexpected node restarts", de-dupe is still broken.
HPE will not allow us to enable de-dupe even after 18+ months of arrays crashes we had, they tell us they have no safe harbour code version for us to go to yet.

To me the 3PAR is a nice easy to use and fast mid-range array, just so long as you don't try to use any of the fancy bells and whistles the marketing team have enabled before engineering has got them working :-)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:33 am 

LgmDan wrote:
Thank you guys,

Do they need to use different cache DIMMs too? And how would that work as all cache is de-staged to the same internal disk in the nodes in case of a power loss. I guess different host ports, SAN-switches and physical hosts as well?